Dorkings

Quote:
Thanks for that question.
when i got them i was told they were 4 -6 weeks old. the 2nd post of pics was at 6- 8 weeks & the biggest of them was starting to get a few brown speckles on the chest. & 1 was starting to get a bigger comb than the others. but nothing stood out on the 3rd & 4th chick.
then the 4th one died still dont know what it was.
today they will be 8 - 10 weeks.
i will go out & try take some individual pics so that others can see the difference.

ok here are the updated pics
#1 Pullet the biggest from day one.
71127_g1-1.jpg
notice the brown chest

71127_g1-2.jpg
brown chest small comb

71127_g1-3.jpg
back view to show the dif

#2 Cock
71127_r1-1.jpg

71127_r1-2.jpg
big comb white chest

71127_r1-3.jpg
getting the white on back

#3 Pullet ???
71127_g2-1.jpg

71127_g2-2.jpg
small comb darker chest or maybe s/he just dirty

71127_g2-3.jpg
dark back like 1st girl.

i would appreciate comments or questions.

Come to think of it I have seen Dorking pullets without the peach on their chest. My friend got one in a batch from a local breeder.
I don't think it happens too often.
The colour on the back of the bird without a peach breast sure looks like the colour of a pullets back but they are still young.
I have never had any juvenile roos so I have no experience to make a learned opinion.
The bigger comb looks like a Roo.........so I'm thinking 75% Roo.
smile.png

they are very beautiful birds & not that common over here so when i got the chance to buy these chicks i jumped at it. im hoping to be able to breed them in the future.

the 2nd pic in the 1st post shows the roo ( L ) & the big pullet ( R ). at 4-6 wks she was almost twice the size of the roo. you can see the size difference in the pic. i just thought id point that out. now they are almost the same size.

this is there home till they are old enuf to join the older girls, the older girls do come & visit & clean up anything that the young ones scratch out of the coop. oh i am also now looking for names there is 2 SLW ( i think 1 pullet & 1 cock), 3 dorks ( 2 pullets 1 cock ) that need names. their home is my portable ( think most of you would call it a tractor ) coup,
i have built an extended run onto it coz i thought it was too small.
71127_coup.jpg

there is a total of 4 perches can see 3 of them in pic 4th is inside. there is 2 nesting boxes, left side of pic. i have taken out the divider for the young ones.
oh & the big plastic container has dirt in it so they can scratch & bathe, also behind it is a smaller one with fine sand to eat & scratch.

any sugestions as to what else i can include for them would be great as i dont let them out yet. ( the cats are very keen)

Last edited:
ok i have more pics its been just over 2 weeks since last pics so here are the new ones same order as b4.
#1 pullet
71127_p1-1.jpg

71127_p1-2.jpg

71127_p1-3.jpg

71127_p1-4.jpg

#2 Roo
71127_2roo1.jpg

71127_2roo2.jpg

71127_2roo3.jpg

71127_2roo4.jpg

#3 pullet
71127_p2-2.jpg
there is brown on the chest but not that visable in pic.
71127_p2-3.jpg

71127_p2-4.jpg

71127_p2-5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom