Benvolio

Hatching
Sep 30, 2020
I recently adopted a duck who seemed to be living in a bad situation beforehand.

When she was found, she was living on top of cars and in people's backyards, nearly getting eaten often.
This is because she is a deaf ducky.

Helga is a Peking-Muscovy mix. She is deaf, mute, and is very badly pigeon toed. She sees no threat in anything and thinks she can take on the world. She cannot. My neighbor has a dog-sitting business and she flies onto their roof, truck, etc, and torments the doggos.

Any way I can get dear Helga to stay near the house and not fly to the neighbors? She loves people and will eat from my hand, surprisingly. I have two other ducks she seems not to care for, though she does have a ducky pool that she likes.

I don't want this dork to get eaten by doggos!!

You can clip her wings so she can't fly but that will make her need to be safely in a run or coop all the time as she can't get away from predators. I had a deaf ducky once but definitely not mute.

Is there any way you can contain her? I have made a simple run out of woven wire with fruit-tree netting on the top to keep some of my fliers safe. I just drive metal fence stakes (not even "real" fence posts), into the ground and zip tie the woven wire to it. Cheap and neat. BTW, no one is left loose in that flimsy set-up unless I am home and able to keep an eye on them. Too many things around here want to eat my birds.

Kudos to you for taking her in, and good luck keeping her safe.

Is there any way you can contain her? I have made a simple run out of woven wire with fruit-tree netting on the top to keep some of my fliers safe. I just drive metal fence stakes (not even "real" fence posts), into the ground and zip tie the woven wire to it. Cheap and neat. BTW, no one is left loose in that flimsy set-up unless I am home and able to keep an eye on them. Too many things around here want to eat my birds.

Kudos to you for taking her in, and good luck keeping her safe.

I've tried to contain her in the current coop-run-situation, but she gets very unhappy being unable to waddle around freely, so I let her out because I feel bad.

Back
Top Bottom