dormant raspberry care????

Ivy99

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2015
Dormant raspberry plant care?

So, it's winter here in the yukon and though you can surprisingly enough grow stuff here I the summer, I was to wimpy to leave my raspberry plant outside all winter. I brought it in today, but everyone said it was obviously dead. I know raspberry plants are supposed to go dormant or something, but I don't know weather putting under a glow light inside will make it sprout some new leaves or if I have to be strong and cut it to the ground. It's a special variety for a friend who moved away so I'm kinda freaking out a bit. To add to my worried there's also some weird spider web stuff growing between the thorns. if anyone actually knows how to garden unlike me, please help. All try to upload some photos but I'm on mobile right now

Was this in a pot or planted outside in the ground? If you want it to fruit next summer it needs a winter dormancy period, and that is now. If it has dropped its leaves, by bringing it inside you have signaled to it that spring is here and it will start to grow again. At that point it must stay inside until the outside plants are greening up.

Dormant berry plants are extremely hardy as long as their roots are not disturbed. If you want to protect a plant, leave it outdoors and add mulch (like dry leaves) around the crown (at soil level). Be careful of rodents nesting in the mulch and eating the raspberry canes. In PA, it is much safer to leave them as is and not mulch, but we have a lot of rodents around here.

Would it be ok if I just put it back outside? Ita only been here for a day?

Would it be ok if I just put it back outside? Ita only been here for a day?

If it was potted outside, then yes, set it back where it was. If you dug it up, I suspect it is already damaged pretty badly and I don't think it will survive either way, so it probably doesn't matter. This seems like a lot of trouble for a raspberry, those things grow like weeds around here, I'm constantly digging them out of the beds.

The spidery webs that you see are spider mites. I assume that your ground is frozen solid right now? If there's any way for you to bury the pot, that would be best. If that's not possible, can you get a bag of mulch, and heap that around the pot, covering the whole pot, and a couple of inches over the soil in the pot? Keeping it alive inside would be tough, as you'd have to be on top of it to be sure it gets water when needed, but not too much, you'd need to rid it of those spider mites with an insecticidal soap spray. If you can get it out in a sheltered area right away, get that pot covered with a good insulating layer of mulch, that might be best. Before putting it out, be sure the soil is not dry.

Back
Top Bottom