Dosage for Terramycin Scours Tablets for adult hen?

I have seen everything from 5 mg to 25 mg per pound daily for oxytetracycline dosage for chickens. You could try and crush one 250mg tablet and disolve in 10 ml of water. That would give you 25 mg per ml.

When using oxytetracycline powder, the goal is to give 400-800 mg per gallon of water. If you put 3 crushed 250 mg tablets in a gallon of water and mix well, that would be close to the maximum dosage.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/oxytetracycline-hcl.html

Thank you! I'm not sure this is now the answer. Her crop was full of liquid yesterday but didn't smell bad. This morning I vomited her and scratch came out at first. Then this thicker sludge, like tan mud! Perhaps this is a yeast infection in her crop??? Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have seen everything from 5 mg to 25 mg per pound daily for oxytetracycline dosage for chickens. You could try and crush one 250mg tablet and disolve in 10 ml of water. That would give you 25 mg per ml.

When using oxytetracycline powder, the goal is to give 400-800 mg per gallon of water. If you put 3 crushed 250 mg tablets in a gallon of water and mix well, that would be close to the maximum dosage.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/oxytetracycline-hcl.html
How many days would you give this to the chicken?

Thank you! I'm not sure this is now the answer. Her crop was full of liquid yesterday but didn't smell bad. This morning I vomited her and scratch came out at first. Then this thicker sludge, like tan mud! Perhaps this is a yeast infection in her crop??? Any ideas?
Sorry that I didn’t see this earlier, but that sounds very much like sour crop. I have only seen that a couple of times, but those hens died. The crop problems were secondary to either egg yolk peritonitis or ascites putting pressure on the abdominal organs and the crop was not emptying.

Thanks everyone. Turns out that just a few weeks ago she looked like she was waddling -- her abdomen was filled with fluid. We took her to a vet and they put her down: she had ascites and liver cancer. :-(

So sorry for your loss. Cancer has effected a couple of my chickens as well, and crop problems are frequently seen because of pressure on the abdominal organs.

Back
Top Bottom