Dose a crow collar work?

Show Sebright

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 1, 2020
Orlando FL
My Cochin too just crowed this morning. I made him a crow collar. Will it actually work? I think tightened it right. I am fit a finger in the collar.

Attachments

• 498928B0-00EC-4A54-A760-91886450C06F.jpeg
    498928B0-00EC-4A54-A760-91886450C06F.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 42
Crow collars are just torture devices for roosters. I’d take it off of him. If you can’t have a rooster you need to re-home him or cull him. If you just wanted him to be quiet then I will tell you this, he is a rooster. Roosters feel they need to show their manly ness, no collar is going to stop that.

My Cochin too just crowed this morning. I made him a crow collar. Will it actually work? I think tightened it right. I am fit a finger in the collar.

I used one in the past for my silkie roos, though wouldn’t use them ever again. All it did was stress them out and posed a risk for getting caught on things, so I abandoned the collar method.

I found that picking them up and taking them inside for a minute or two if they crowed worked to stop continuous crowing, as they wanted to be outside with the hens and tasty treats.

With my current seramas, they only ever crow once or twice in the morning and once or twice in the afternoon, but are otherwise quiet unless excited by something.

If the boys crow outside of those two times and I am not out gardening, I know something is up and go to check.

I have never and will never use a crow collar. If there is an issue with crowing I would rehome the bird. There are some males that do crow more often than others. I'm lucky. My neighbors don't care but they do not have chickens. My males do crow some in the morning but not an all day thing. They will crow if I'm out working around the coops. I think they are looking for treats so they want to remind me they are there. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom