Double Broody Hen Help

Halleys Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Perthshire in Scotland
I have a trio of silkies they have a decent sized run and live in an eglu with one next box, one of the hens went broody, and now the other has as well, I would quite like to raise chicks under them, but they have three eggs an one of the hens was more defensive of the best, I'm just worried that two hens on three eggs in the same nest, will harm the eggs and if they hatched who would the chicks follow as mum and also I am not sure if I would need to desperate the mums from the cockerel or would he be fine with the possible chicks? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D thanks

The cock won't be a problem. Broodies sharing eggs has often been a problem for me. It can work but they try to monopolize them. I had 8 broody pullets share about 25 eggs. They only hatched one chick and the chick followed all of them. That part wasn't a problem. It's best to have each in their own broody apartment but probably not possible in an egglu.
You could try to break one of the broodies but silkies are relentless.
I've even had broodies in separate nests but every time one would come off the nest the other one would steal eggs. That messes things up. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't marked the eggs with dates and nest.

Thank you so much, ok so I don't have to worry about him, yeh ok, I might try and set up a separate place for one of the hens, I'll let you know how it goes, thank you so much :D

Back
Top Bottom