double bumble foot- possible bacterial infection

Idakoyuu

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2021
My 5 year old hen Shima recently came down with double bumble foot. Not a problem, I soaked her twice a day for 15 minutes in epsom salt for a few days, removed the infection/scab from one foot, waited a day, removed the next, and then applied vetericyn and neosporin. I thought she'd be fine, but recently im thinking she has a bacterial infection. Her comb is dark and flopped over, the ends are purple (which were like that before she got bumble foot) she's losing weight, isn't eating, drinking okay, and her droppings are stringy, green and overall bad. I'd like to know what antibiotics/supplements I should give her to get her through this. Any suggestions/advice is very very appreciated!

Her comb is dark and flopped over, the ends are purple (which were like that before she got bumble foot) she's losing weight, isn't eating, drinking okay, and her droppings are stringy, green and overall bad. I'd like to know what antibiotics/supplements I should give her to get her through this.
Does she lay eggs?

Sounds like she's not been well for a while.
At 5 yrs of age, she may be having some reproductive problems. Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens.

Do look her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying, get a fecal float to see if she needs to be dewormed.
You can give her poultry vitamins in her water or direct dose. Entice her appetite with bits of egg, fish, meat, wet feed, etc.

Hard to know if she would benefit or need an antibiotic, nor which one.

If you have photos you wish to share, that would be good.

Does she lay eggs?

Sounds like she's not been well for a while.
At 5 yrs of age, she may be having some reproductive problems. Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens.

Do look her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying, get a fecal float to see if she needs to be dewormed.
You can give her poultry vitamins in her water or direct dose. Entice her appetite with bits of egg, fish, meat, wet feed, etc.

Hard to know if she would benefit or need an antibiotic, nor which one.

If you have photos you wish to share, that would be good.
She does indeed lay eggs, she laid one just a few days ago. I have Valbazen on hand so I may deworm her just to be safe. Ive been giving her vitamins/electrolytes in her water the whole time, as well as giving her boiled egg with probiotics and even gave her some molasses a few days ago. Ive attached photos of what she looks like this morning, as well as what her droppings look like, and a photo of what she usually looks like for reference.
5A622358-4F46-43C2-8BC4-07A8FAB26B3D.jpeg
CAB59257-1D9D-4304-A31B-D5A5B255C938.jpeg
26A6FC1A-4272-4FBC-8694-946DD4A182A1.png
I have Valbazen on hand so I may deworm her just to be safe. Ive been giving her vitamins/electrolytes in her water the whole time, as well as giving her boiled egg with probiotics and even gave her some molasses a few days ago. Ive attached photos of what she looks like this morning, as well as what her droppings look like, and a photo of what she usually looks like for reference.

She might have an ecoli infection. I recommend getting her started on Baytril.
I was wondering that myself. Baytril tablets are the only thing I've found, and they require a prescription. How would you go about getting baytril?

My 5 year old hen Shima recently came down with double bumble foot. Not a problem, I soaked her twice a day for 15 minutes in epsom salt for a few days, removed the infection/scab from one foot, waited a day, removed the next, and then applied vetericyn and neosporin. I thought she'd be fine, but recently im thinking she has a bacterial infection. Her comb is dark and flopped over, the ends are purple (which were like that before she got bumble foot) she's losing weight, isn't eating, drinking okay, and her droppings are stringy, green and overall bad. I'd like to know what antibiotics/supplements I should give her to get her through this. Any suggestions/advice is very very appreciated!

Last edited:
She does indeed lay eggs, she laid one just a few days ago. I have Valbazen on hand so I may deworm her just to be safe. Ive been giving her vitamins/electrolytes in her water the whole time, as well as giving her boiled egg with probiotics and even gave her some molasses a few days ago. Ive attached photos of what she looks like this morning, as well as what her droppings look like, and a photo of what she usually looks like for reference.

I was wondering that myself. Baytril tablets are the only thing I've found, and they require a prescription. How would you go about getting baytril?
I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Deworming is not a bad idea.
You can find the Baytril online here:

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Two things regarding the video:
This is just for information purposes: If there isnt any swelling, redness nor swelling, there's no need to do bumblefoot surgery. The scabs will go away on their own.

The actual surgery: The initial procedure was great, soaking the feet in warm epsom salts water for about 30 minutes. However, surgery shouldve been done right away after the soaking instead of waiting another 2 weeks to perform the surgery.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection and must be removed as soon as possible. If the infection isnt removed right away, there's a good chance it will progress to the legbone. Once it reaches the legbone, it quickly spreads throughout the body and there isnt any amount of antibiotics to stop it. The bird will die.

Back
Top Bottom