Double Eggs with No shells

3chix

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 20, 2012
I've researched this problem but haven't found anything exactly the same, so I'm hoping someone here might have ideas.

I am new to chickens. I have 2 Americaunas & 1 Brahma. They are are 8 months old & started laying about a month ago after I put a light in the coop (it turns on about 5am). The Americaunas lay beautifully. The Brahma is having problems. 4 out of 5 of her eggs have no shell (thin, leathery shell) & she tends to lay them during the night over the dropping tray. Twice in the past week she's laid 2 eggs at a time (with no shell) . Every now and then she'll lay an egg with a shell in the nesting box. Half of those (good) eggs are VERY small and half of them are double yolk & giant.

All chickens are eating laying feed & I sprinkle oyster shell liberally on the ground & well as have a bowl of it in the coop. Is this a genetic problem with her? Are there suggestions? I've read about an illness and an inborn issue for hens who don't lay shells, but I haven't heard about ones who also tend to lay two eggs at a time. Thanks!

Tums are not a bad idea. Just make sure you don't over do it. There are multiple reasons for hens to lay eggs without a shell, soft shells, or other abnormal shells or no shells. For her to lay multiples would be slightly more rare. If you are sure it is just her, then it has to do with the reproductive part. Sometimes hens will have more than one yolk released from her ovary at one time. I have seen pictures of eggs with in a egg (both having shells), so it is possible for her to have two eggs at one time. I don't know if that helps any, I know it is vague but their are many possibilities. It might be best if you, someone else, or I can find you some good reading. Most of my experience with egg problems have been with young layers, and they tend to grow out of it. Unless she has some disorder, disease, etc. I think she will grow out of it.

Back
Top Bottom