"Double laced" barnevelders

Hatching

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Hey everyone, so I ordered 2 barnevelder pullets from Ideal hatchery, knowing that hatchery birds aren't perfect and I only wanted some hens for eggs, but my barnevelders are anything but double laced. They are 14 weeks old and so far one has a plain breast and one is single laced.
"Plain breast"
And her back

Single laced

My question is, is this normal for double laced birds? Is there any chance they while get their double lacing after they molt before they begin laying ?

Last edited:
You can see some double laced feathers on both of their backs, not very good double lacing, but there's none on either of their chests. I'm thinking The one with a plain chest is probably crossed with a welsummer as the hatchery's attempt to improve egg color

You can see some double laced feathers on both of their backs, not very good double lacing, but there's none on either of their chests. I'm thinking The one with a plain chest is probably crossed with a welsummer as the hatchery's attempt to improve egg color

The top one probably won't improve much. She is not double laced, rather closer to a partridge/ penciled pattern like a partridge rock/ Welsummer mix. Hatchery's seem to mix up partridge Rock and Welsummer males with Barnevelder males in breeding as they look kind of similar. They might get mixed up in breeding either intentionally ( for egg color) or by accident. Wyandottes must of also been mixed at some point because your second girl most likely has one copy of Co ( columbian ) by looking at her single lacing in places. Your second girl might look sightly better laced after molt, but will not develop the really good pattern that is admired in barnevelders.

I've seen a handful somewhat decent barnevelders from hatcheries In the past, but lately there have been some very poor examples being sold by hatcheries. Many of them are looking like complete mixes of welsummer, wyandotte and partridge Rock:(

Trisha

Last edited:
The top one probably won't improve much. She is not double laced, rather closer to a partridge/ penciled pattern like a partridge rock/ Welsummer mix. Hatchery's seem to mix up partridge Rock and Welsummer males with Barnevelder males in breeding as they look kind of similar. They might get mixed up in breeding either intentionally ( for egg color) or by accident. Wyandottes must of also been mixed at some point because your second girl most likely has one copy of Co ( columbian ) by looking at her single lacing in places. Your second girl might look sightly better laced after molt, but will not develop the really good pattern that is admired in barnevelders.

I've seen a handful somewhat decent barnevelders from hatcheries In the past, but lately there have been some very poor examples being sold by hatcheries. Many of them are looking like complete mixes of welsummer, wyandotte and partridge Rock:(

Trisha
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I was really excited for these girls too after seeing multiple really good barnevelders on the Ideal hatchery thread. Thanks for your input though

My first girl is definitely a WelsummerXbarnevelder, I was finally able to find pictures of the cross and they look identical to her

Back
Top Bottom