Double lay

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
My two year old isa brown cracker seemed off today. I brought her in and she seemed egg bound. I gave her a bath and out popped an egg in the towel. Two hours later she seemed off so I put her in the run and checked her. Her vent was out a little. I rubbed her belly and pet her for a few then went to get her a cold drink. Out popped another egg. Soft but full sized. Now I am at a loss what to do . she has purina layer feed. Egg shells,oyster shells and sundays a bit of eggs and blueberries. Any ideas would be appreciated. She is my ADHD crippled baby girl and very close to my heart.

I didn't know chickens could have adhd, she must have been backed up to have two egg, I'm glad you could help her. You don;t need the extra shell if you feed layer, only if you feed a calicum deficit feed.

I didn't know chickens could have adhd, she must have been backed up to have two egg, I'm glad you could help her. You don;t need the extra shell if you feed layer, only if you feed a calicum deficit feed.
I just offer it they do eat a little of the shell sometimes. Yes cracker is a funny chicken. Her toes are crooked, has stubby peg legs, and walks like john wayne after a long ride. Well she never walks she runs and climbs on everything and is in to everything all the time.

I put out crushed oyster shell even though my chickens were on layer feed. They will take it if they need it. Hopefully you hen just had trouble passing the first egg, then along came another. She might be experiencing some reproductive problems, so keep an eye on her. Look to see if she is overweight, since that can add to egg laying problems.

If she is walking oddly, she might have salpingitis or showing signs of illness.

I put out crushed oyster shell even though my chickens were on layer feed. They will take it if they need it. Hopefully you hen just had trouble passing the first egg, then along came another. She might be experiencing some reproductive problems, so keep an eye on her. Look to see if she is overweight, since that can add to egg laying problems.

If she is walking oddly, she might have salpingitis or showing signs of illness.
She has always walked funny. She seldom walks,she is a runner. She is very stiff legged since I got her. She was a runt with hooked toes.I got all but one fixed. A freebie since she was headed to the back room.I took her and put her under my wing. Not a very big bird at all. She is about the size of a 6 month old at 2.
What breed would you recommend? I prefer lap chickens that last.

I raised multiple breeds, 2 of each kind I picked out to see what chickens I liked. Mine are dying off after 10 years, and when my last ones are gone, I will get a small flock of chicks. I had a couple of isa browns that were very independent, brave foragers, and laid huge eggs every day. I liked having multiple color eggs and chickens to tell them apart and who laid what eggs. My least favorite chickens are the huge breeds, such as Marans, brahmas, and the heritage RIR, who ate like hogs and did not seem to lay that well. My faverolles were not good layers or healthy birds, and their eggs did not hatch well. I am not sure what breeds I will get next time, but will probably get some smaller breeds that lay well.

It is still good to give them eggshells. The extra calcium makes their eggs stronger and they won't break as easily.

Sadly around 2 years is when some high production sex link hens develop reproductive tract problems. Hopefully that is not what is happening to her.

Back
Top Bottom