Double Shelled eggs??

One of my chickens is now egg bound but the last egg she laid was a normal egg encased in an inner membrane...so inner white membrane, shell, inner white membrane yolk and whitw

In that past month, I have found 2 of these larger than life eggs with eggs inside them. The first one I found didn't have a yolk in the big shell, and I was so freaked out by the other egg I can't remember if it did or not. The second one I just found yesterday, so I haven't cracked it open yet to see what's waiting in there, but I know that when I picked it up, I could feel the other egg hit against the side of the big egg. From what I've read, this is supposed to be a somewhat rare occurrences, but I've only got 3 laying aged hens (two Rhode Island Reds and one Barred Rock) so either they are over achievers, or this is not as rare as it is believed to be. To be honest, I'm a bit relieved to know my girls are not freaks :)

Just logged onto this site because I found a double shelled egg today. Was curious about there being two different colors. There was no yolk or white inbetween shells.

That had to be strange opening that one. I’ve seen a few things but not that.

The hen’s internal egg making factory has a lot of parts. Occasionally there are glitches, especially when they first start laying. Sometimes it takes a pullet a while to get all the bugs out of her programming, but those weird eggs can happen anytime. As long as it is not consistent in an older hen it’s generally not a problem.

The last part of the egg making process is in the shell gland where the hen puts the shell on the egg. That process takes many hours. After the shell is on, she then adds the brown color to the outside of the egg if she is a brown egg laying hen. If you open a brown egg and remove the membrane from the inside of the shell, you’ll see that it is white. Or you can sandpaper the brown off and leave a white shell. Normally the inside of the shell is pure white but some hens tint that a little. Still, if it is a brown egg the difference should be pretty plain.

I don’t know what happened there, but the hen apparently started the first shell. Before it was totally finished with the brown applied to the outside of the first shell, she started a second shell and finished it. Why would she do that? I don’t have a clue. Sometimes stuff just happens.

Wow!! I watched the Youtube of an egg inside an egg. Amazing. Poor hen.. I guess it screamed louder than usual when passing that one..

I love the threads about weird eggs lol. Nature is wild.

Just found one just like that from a white leghorn. At first I thought it was just really messy, like they get when an egg breaks in the nest box, but when I cleaned it I found one shell directly over another....two shells!

Jumping on to join this double shelled thread! We have brown layers, white layers, green layers, and blue layers...how in the world did this double shell have blue inner shell and brown outer shell?!?

I went to the nesting box today to collect eggs and found this oddity... I haven't cracked open the inner egg but it's a hardshell egg inside of a softshell egg. I read that this happens when an egg, ready to be laid, reverses direction and gets a new layer of albumen and a second shell.

Attachments

• IMG_3377.JPG
    IMG_3377.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 28
59FE477F-7C60-4127-9D37-4A2A98C4CA4C.jpeg
Hello! This is my first post :frow. I joined the other day because we have just started our 2nd go at keeping chickens (our first 5 hen Novogen flock was decimated by a predator break in 2.5 years ago). But before I could get time to introduce myself, this happened today...

I do not know exactly who it came from as I literally got 10 new layers the day before yesterday to add to my 7 current layers. I have a mixed flock. I don’t know if I should suspect a brown egg layer or a blue egg layer...? My guess is one of the new brown egg layers, which would be one of 4 RIRs or 2 BOs. The 4 new leghorns all laid a big white egg today. Of the 7 layers I had before Wednesday I guess it could be one of them due to stress of the new arrivals? There has been a jam at the nesting box area - they all (old and new hens) want the same exact nesting space. I saw 2 hens sharing the favorite space and later on 2 hens sharing and a 3rd trying to squeeze in as well. Of course there’s a big empty nesting area literally an inch away plus 2 nest buckets set up in the space under this nesting area. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on if it was probably a brown layer or more likely one of only 2 blue egg layers I have (due to the inner shell being clearly blue in color)?

It sure is interesting to keep chickens!
59FE477F-7C60-4127-9D37-4A2A98C4CA4C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom