Double silver laced barnevelder 6 weeks

Really??? Even though they had opposite wing feather types at a day old?
My understanding is that wing feather sexing is only accurate in a couple of breeds. I sent you a PM with a link to my Instagram where I posted pics comparing a male to a female at 9 weeks.

My understanding is that wing feather sexing is only accurate in a couple of breeds. I sent you a PM with a link to my Instagram where I posted pics comparing a male to a female at 9 weeks.
Whether it was “accurate” or not doesn’t opposite feather sprout pattern indicate one of each? I’ve never read that 2 males or females of a same breed from a same place could have opposite sprout patterns and still be the same sex.

Whether it was “accurate” or not doesn’t opposite feather sprout pattern indicate one of each? I’ve never read that 2 males or females of a same breed from a same place could have opposite sprout patterns and still be the same sex.
In chickens that cannot be feather sexed, I’m guessing the appearance of their wing feathers doesn’t mean anything, unfortunately.

I can say that when you have one of each, the difference between them at 8 weeks is staggering and you would know with certainty which was a cockerel. I’m sorry, but you have two males.

If that were the case, then any breed could be feather-sexed solely by comparison :) It's just individual variation, not sexlinking

If that were the case, then any breed could be feather-sexed solely by comparison :) It's just individual variation, not sexlinking
That’s so weird! I always assumed with non-sexing breeds the feathers would all be the same either staggered or the same length no matter gender but to have it be completely random either way is like something out of the twilight zone😂 very sad though my daughter is going to be crushed. We hatched this breed specifically for her because her barred rock died completely unexpectedly during the night a couple months ago and she was devastated.

That’s so weird! I always assumed with non-sexing breeds the feathers would all be the same either staggered or the same length no matter gender but to have it be completely random either way is like something out of the twilight zone😂 very sad though my daughter is going to be crushed. We hatched this breed specifically for her because her barred rock died completely unexpectedly during the night a couple months ago and she was devastated.
I'm sorry :( Keep them for a few more weeks to be sure because they are such a cool variety but I am very doubtful they're pullets.

Back
Top Bottom