1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double-yokers are more common than I thought

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ducks4you, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I've been taking pics of my pullets' double-yokers, thinking them unusual and pretty cool. THEN, I went over to the U of I's once a week egg sale. There were plats of 2 1/2 dozen double-yoker pullet eggs--there must have been 20 dozen of them, or MORE. Gee whiz! Does anybody know if some breeds are more likely to do this? These eggs were white, but I have bought Welsummer eggs from them before.

2. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I have a Red Leg Crossbreed / hybrid gal that gives 5 out of 7 doubles .. she did give me 10 doubles in a row .. her first egg was even a double . The double are slowing [​IMG] but still not to bad . The funny thing is that I have two of this breed and we have called them the doublemint twins , they walk and squack at the same time ... the other gal has not given me a double egg yet .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by