Double Yolk Tukey Eggs

glambka

Songster
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Michigan smack dab in suburbia
Does anyone know if double yolk turkey eggs will hatch? Also...do they usually come from young turkeys? That's what I've heard but haven't been able to find anyone who has actually HAD some double yolkers....

I had a double yolker when my girls first started laying- absolutely huge egg. Although I am sure the emu owners would laugh at that comment. You should not attempt to incubate a double yolker - the chicks/poults from double yolkers usually die before hatch.

That's what I thought I'd heard. Also did hear it was younger hens. I was on another poultry website where some woman was getting all double yolkers. They were not incubating them so I got really excited....would love some double yolk eggs for my artwork...then I found out I was on a site from Ireland!
th.gif
Well...guess the shipping costs would have been a bit high. LOL .

If anyone comes across some double yolks, please contact me! Don't get rid of them!!!PLEASE!

Hi there, I'm new to the site. One of my Turkey hens had a double yolk egg yesterday, this was the first one we opened to eat...I have a bunch of others in the incubator, now I"m wondering if I have more double yolkers! I also have a chicken hen which lays double yolkers almost every day. If you're interested in those as well, please let me know! Would be happy to help you out :)

Well, I sure would love some double yolk turkey eggs. They are much bigger than regular turkey eggs and I understand that some turkeys are like chickens...when they lay doubles they do it often. I don't know your location, but maybe we could work something out. I would even take the incubated ones if you candle them and they aren't working out. Just refrigerate them. My only thought is...how much would it be to ship those eggs. my email is [email protected] I'm in Michigan.
As far as chicken eggs go...I do have someone local I can get really big chicken eggs from, so I am set there.
Let me know about the turkey eggs; you can email me if you want and we can discuss costs.

Everything I've ever read about double yolked eggs is that they aren't able to be hatched, incubator or hen.Yes, double yolked eggs do occur more often in young layers (turkeys, chickens,fowl). It has to do with not enough room for one chick to develop with space taken up by the other yolk leaving less of an air cell, which is necessary for hatching. The extra "size" eggs are not shaped best for hatching. Great for artwork though!

Back
Top Bottom