Double yolker both chicks alive at day 14... advice?

nlbeardmore

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
England
We have 17 eggs in an incubator which are on day 14, we candled them for the last time and noticed what we think is two chicks in one egg, both moving around! I have read alot on the internet that the chicks wont survive and usually die, is there anything we can do to try and help both chicks survive to the end, and also if it gets to the point where the live till day 21 and try to pip, should we assist the chicks to get out of the egg or let nature take its course?
This is our first time using an incubator as we usually let our broody's do the work so any advice would be great :)

A member here hatched a double yolker successfully. Go to the Contents page, click on "Frequently Asked Questions" scroll all the way down to the Archives. Click on "Double Yolk Hatch".

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thankyou i will look now! I will also let you know what happens however i understand that it is very unlikely both if any will survive.

Your incubator should have a dial where you can turn it up or down... mine is a homemade one bought off ebay and does the job just fine! it is also fan assisted. It depends on your particular incubator.

Has anyone hatched a double yolker successfully?

Thankyou i will look now! I will also let you know what happens however i understand that it is very unlikely both if any will survive.

Your incubator should have a dial where you can turn it up or down... mine is a homemade one bought off ebay and does the job just fine! it is also fan assisted. It depends on your particular incubator.

Has anyone hatched a double yolker successfully?

I watched a video on utube the other day on a double yoker hatching...I think it was called twin chicks hatching...or that's what I typed in to find it. She did assist both chicks. Very good I suggest watching it. I am in the same situation as you at day 15 and I think I have a double yoker...so if it starts to pip I will have my boyfriend watch..so he can help the chicks, I am chicken!

Click on the link in the Archives, she posted a link to the video of the hatch. She had to help them hatch. Both chicks survived. If I remember correctly it was a hen and a roo.
Hope you become to second success story!

I watched a video on utube the other day on a double yoker hatching...I think it was called twin chicks hatching...or that's what I typed in to find it. She did assist both chicks. Very good I suggest watching it. I am in the same situation as you at day 15 and I think I have a double yoker...so if it starts to pip I will have my boyfriend watch..so he can help the chicks, I am chicken!
I have just seen the videa on youtube, its crazy, shes such a brave lady for doing that! i think if it gets to the point where they are pipping and dont get much further i think i will have no option but to try and help them out, its either that or they dont make it out and die anyway! i agree with you as i am a wimp too! I hope you have success with your chicks and we have some happy endings :)

Hi I know this is later and all yalls chicks have hatched , I'm wondering how it went bc I too have a double in incubation today is day 12 and all show movement except it it was lookin ok but now can't see veins and just seems different than the rest I'm wondering if it has died I hope I'm wrong but I also don't want to leave it in if it's bad I have other eggs in there and don't want to risk harm to them. Hoping someone can lend some advice thanks!

Back
Top Bottom