Doughy crop, cocci

Coccidiosis can cause a slow crop. I would just repeat what you did to treat her crop before, including getting her to drink fluids, massage, stool softener or coconut oil, and make sure that she is not eating whole grains. Feed her scrambled egg, watery chicken crumbles or pellets, and plain yogurt. Does she have granite grit available? What are her poops looking like?

She does have grit. Still doing all of the above. She’s eating and drinking ok. Her poops looks like so:
Very green. Very watery. She is also using an antibiotic that makes her water bright yellow.

Attachments

• 96C2B277-1015-47BC-8BF9-3627E2E78FD6.jpeg
    96C2B277-1015-47BC-8BF9-3627E2E78FD6.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 6
I have a hen with the same issue right now- same poop. Watery, green- I have tried coconut oil, Corrid, 5 days of antibiotics. I have t tried the stool softener- how do you administer? Break open the capsule and feed with bread? Or do you give her the whole pill?
How is your hen doing?

I have a hen with the same symptoms. It happened last year during molting season and again this year. I took her to the vet last year and they ran all kinds of tests, xrays, you name it. We tried antibiotics, GI shots, everything. Came to the conclusion it was a slow crop... I ended up putting her in a crop bra and she improved. (It could have been because weeks had passed at that point and we tried all the other options so the crop bra just happened to coincide with the timing) I ordered it off Etsy. This style is my favorite.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/779998...click_sum=3c0d2738&ref=shop_home_feat_2&sts=1

I started coconut oil massages, no more free ranging for a while, and offering her wet mash, eggs, and meal worms.

Goodluck to you and your girl!

I have a hen with the same symptoms. It happened last year during molting season and again this year. I took her to the vet last year and they ran all kinds of tests, xrays, you name it. We tried antibiotics, GI shots, everything. Came to the conclusion it was a slow crop... I ended up putting her in a crop bra and she improved. (It could have been because weeks had passed at that point and we tried all the other options so the crop bra just happened to coincide with the timing) I ordered it off Etsy. This style is my favorite.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/779998331/chicken-bra-crop-bra-crop-supporter-slow?click_key=ce66f144a9c308dcab97bad554a8e150c62ed680:779998331&click_sum=3c0d2738&ref=shop_home_feat_2&sts=1

I started coconut oil massages, no more free ranging for a while, and offering her wet mash, eggs, and meal worms.

Goodluck to you and your girl!
Thank you for your response and recommendations! Her slow crop has me stumped- I feel like Ive tried everything- except the crop bra- My husband just said, “so now you’re gonna put a bra on a chicken; yep, you’ve definitely gone over the deep end” -
Of course, she is my favorite hen! 😂

So, updating here

1) I used the soft gels for my girl. I broke it open, squeezed out the right amount into some baby food, sucked it into a syringe, and gave it orally.

2) as for Belle, I hate to say it but we lost her. Now one of my other hens is showing symptoms. Im about to throw in the towel. This has been going on since July and I can’t get it under control. I am worn out.

So, updating here

1) I used the soft gels for my girl. I broke it open, squeezed out the right amount into some baby food, sucked it into a syringe, and gave it orally.

2) as for Belle, I hate to say it but we lost her. Now one of my other hens is showing symptoms. Im about to throw in the towel. This has been going on since July and I can’t get it under control. I am worn out.
I am so sorry you lost your hen. 💔

She had a resistant coccidiosis strain, and the vet treated her with an alternate medication.

So, updating here

I'm sorry for your loss.

You mentioned she had a resistant strain of Coccidia and the vet gave you an alternative medication. I don't see the name of that - just curious what that was.

You have other hens showing symptoms of Coccidiosis or?

Let's go back here - what do you feed including treats, what exactly are the symptoms you are seeing with your other hens?
Have you dewormed your flock?
Do you provide grit free choice?
Are the ones that are sick all the same age or various age groups, sourced from different places...?
Photos - poop, hens, pullets - these may help.

Finding a vet or even the funds to afford one can be difficult. If possible, Call your state lab below. Looks like TN has 2 "Labs" but very likely Kord is the affordable one. Every state is different and offers different services. Each one is different on fees as well. Sometime fees are waived, free or just downright crazy expensive but you won't know until you call.
Ask about fees, testing for Coccidiosis, Worms, Gram Stain...discuss the issue with them. They might help, they might not - it just costs some time and a phone call at this point.

Contact the Animal Health reception desk at 615-837-5125.
C.E. Kord Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory
P.O. Box 40627
Nashville, TN 37204-0627

https://www.tn.gov/agriculture/consumers/pets/animal-health-diagnostic-lab0.html

Back
Top Bottom