Down but not out Newbie

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined.
thumbsup.gif

M.sue :

Were your chickens in a run? We lock ours in tightly at night and open the coop every morning and let them into the run. The only time we allow them to free range is when we are at home. We never leave them out unattended. We live in the country so a stray dog running loose happens once in a while. I have my son's pellet gun/bb gun ready and on hand if needed. Fortunately I've never had to use it.
Sooooo......GO GET SOME MORE CHICKS AND HAVE FUN!!

Thanks everyone!
smile.png

Yes, our chickens were in their chicken tractor. I never left them out unless we were outside because we have lots of trees and screech owls on our property. I spoke to the owner of the dogs yesterday(there were two...ugh) they had dug out of her yard and went running the streets. They dug a tunnel under the barrier I had around the tractor and just plain ripped up the chicken wire on the guinea pig's mini tractor. I'm not mad at the owner or the dogs themselves, they were dogs doing what dogs do. I am more upset with my neighbors who certainly heard the noise of the dogs and the chickens plus the racket of the squirrels and mockingbirds and blue jays and didn't have the decency to pick up a hose, shovel, rock...anything.

I was, and am, so mad at them that yesterday(and today, and for the rest of the week) I went into the garage and turned our radio on the Spanish music channel REALLY LOUD . I figure if they didn't hear four animals being killed by two dogs, they won't be bothered by the radio!
wink.png

We're all still tender but we're not giving up!​

We're back in the saddle!

Just picked up three new chickens all between 10 - 12 weeks old. They're a tad bit skittish yet, but they're happily checking out their new home. Last week we moved the chickens closer to the house, sunk 12" floor tiles all around the tractor and followed that up by piling up cocquina rocks on top of that. Anything wanting to dig their way in now had better bring a miner's cap!
lol.png

Thanks for the encouragement and warm welcome!

glad to hear you are back with chickens. Did the dog owner offer any restitution for the damage done???? We had a similar thing happen to us and neighbor was more than happy to resolve with payment/replacement.

Back
Top Bottom