Down to 1 hen, need help?!

tlankford

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
We had 2 hens (Columbian Wyandotte) for a while. Recently 1 died and so we are now down to just 1. Can I add another chick with her to get back to 2, or should I give her to someone else and start all over with 2 chicks? If you think I can add a chick, is it "ok" to raise just 1 chick until big enough to add to the coop?
Thanks

If you get a chick it MAY have to be full grown, about 16 weeks old, to join your other hen., unless you get really lucky and the older one doesn't pick on it. If you get an older hen, please be sure you quarrantine it for 30 days to be sure it's healthy before you put them together. Do you have room for more than just one more? That way if you loose one you will have several to keep each other company.

my advice personally would be to get an adult bird, HOWEVER, this can be tricky because not all hens are compatible, plus you must be careful with quarantining...when I had a similar issue with my own birds, I had a local agricultural fair only a few weeks away that my remaining hen was to be showing at so I was fortunate enough to find a bird there that got along with my surviving hen, and since they were at the fair I didn't have to worry about quarantining.

Many people would prefer to get a chick, because they will have more time with them, the easiest way to do that, is to let her get broody and then one day you just pull one of the eggs out when she gets off and replace it with the chick. POW!!! adoption chicken style (thats how i got mine to raise 10 ducks)

Back
Top Bottom