Down to one chick :(

dashonna82

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
I just lost another baby chick. She was looking lethargic yesterday. I tried everything even nutri drench. We are down to one chic now. I am debating if I should get more or wait to see if she makes it. Can a chicken live alone?

I just lost another baby chick. She was looking lethargic yesterday. I tried everything even nutri drench. We are down to one chic now. I am debating if I should get more or wait to see if she makes it. Can a chicken live alone?

I would try to get additional chickens, chickens are social creature.

Have you ever thought of getting pullets? I believe they have a greater chance to surviving till adult hood because well, they are closer to being adults!

Thanks super deluxe. I am a new chicken mom so I was not familiar with buying them ready to lay. I did find a wonderful farm not too far away. I learned a whole lot and picked up two new ladies. They all look super happy!

Last edited:
Thanks super deluxe. I am a new chicken mom so I was not familiar with buying them ready to lay. I did find a wonderful farm not too far away. I learned a whole lot and picked up two new ladies. They all look super happy!

Those are some cute looking girls! Yeah we got our girls at 16 weeks! We were brand new chicken owners and wanted the easiest transition, and wanted a situation where we didn't need a brooder.

I am down to one chick also.. I am also a first time chicken mom. We did find with our four chicks until I put them outside in the run.. had one escape, and never be found, one got ate by my dog... totally reinforced the run and then just came home one day and one was lying dead in the run, no signs of trauma. So, we are down to just "Bacon" and I am trying to decide whether to try with some more chicks.. Its so discouraging to lose three chicks over a five day period.

Effielin, I almost gave up this morning. If these don't workout I'm gonna try getting pullets. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom