Down to One Lonely Chicken, should we rehome or foster a friend?

trinitynow

Chirping
12 Years
Nov 12, 2010
Hey everyone,

Our beautiful Dina is now a lone chicken -- our sweet Bronte passed away last month (thanks to all who tried to help us cure her, she rallied for a few weeks but then passed.) We had a flock of 8 for many years but they've all passed in the past couple of years having reached between seven to nine years of age each.

Dina has been getting depressed all alone -- she won't come down from her roost unless I herd her out and she is not eating much. She is in good health. I've been trying to spend a lot of personal time with her, encouraging her to eat, free-ranging her while I do yoga, even bringing her up on the deck and in the house (against my husband's desire). I can tell she is unhappy. I would adopt new hens but hubby and I are moving to Hawaii in a couple of months and transporting birds there is not easy. Dina is five and a half years old -- she still lays three to four months each year. We aren't ready to start a whole new young flock with a big move in front of us.

I live in the Santa Monica/Brentwood area of LA -- any chance someone has another single chicken that might want to come for an extended play date? Or might be interested in adopting my sweet Dina who I love so much? She is very sweet, personable and beautiful.

Any input is welcome.

Attachments

• Dina sunrise.jpeg
    Dina sunrise.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 36
You're wise to understand that Dina needs a friend. I recommend posting on the rehoming forum. I learned of another hen in the same situation and brought her home. She got to "mother" four pullets and was much happier. Good luck.
Thank you, I didn't see that area of the forums and will look again. I think Dina would make an amazing Matriarch!!

Back
Top Bottom