Down to Two Birds

Sorry for your loss.

One question that comes to mind: Did you look for mites, the blood-sucking kind?

Usually you do not see them on the chickens but you can find them in the coop at night, as they hide in the cracks and only come out sucking blood while the chickens are sleeping.

Instead of chicks you could find Jersey Giant fertile eggs for your broody, this might be the better option as they can be shipped more easily.

That was my suspicion when it first happened. I have checked but luckily I didn't see any. I will go back out to double check though. They have been regularly taking dust/dirt baths but one never knows.
I'm still a novice at this and am I bit afraid to order anything to my house, and I'm not exactly sure where to search if there's anything nearby.

Just go to your local store and get some chicks, or have them ordered in. Now it is relatively easy to get chicks, and you can order them so they come in when you want them. And you can get pullets. If you hatch eggs, nearly 50% will be roosters.

If you want, slip a couple of golf balls under her. Won't hurt, and might help. Leave her where she is, and let her be.

Then when you get the chicks, bring them home, make sure they all have a drink of water! Then put them outside in the coop, and let them get a little cold for 30-45 minutes. Sounds heartless, but do it. To make the bond between chicks and hens, it has to go both ways. The hen needs to want the chicks (their motion underneath her, triggers that hormone.) and the chicks need to associate warmth and a saftey with the mother hen.

I take the chicks down in the near dark, with the smallest of lights, and I am wearing a thick sweatshirt. Then I cover the hens head with a towel, and start shoving chicks under her. There is a lot of empty space under a hen. She may peck at them, if they crawl out, that is ok. But if they are chilled enough, they are going to burrow in tighter than a tick to that warm spot. That is what you want.

Then you have to do the hard part. Shut the coop and leave. Do not watch, do not interfere, do not try and protect the chicks. Her voice should change, and she will nearly constantly cluck to the chicks.

Do not worry if your nest is off the ground, she will manage it. The day before chicks, I do a sweep out, and put fresh bedding on the bottom of the coop. I no longer make a nest for her, none of them have ever liked my efforts. She will get the chicks down, and make a new nest on the floor.

I do put feed and water in the coop at this time. But do not put it by the nest. Leave it there only until she takes the chicks out to run. Which is usually in 1-3 days. And then just watch and enjoy, while she does the work.

so, is she still on the nest? Is she as flat as a pancake? Does she seem like she is in a trance? Does she puff up like a beach ball if you get too close? If so you have been blessed with a broody hen!

I very much thank you for this.
My biggest issue is yes, chicks used to be easy to find in the local stores but because people have been panic buying they can't keep them stocked. Now it's down to "if" "when" and there may not be what I'm looking for. Most stores don't normally have pullets kept there, I can always call and ask, but I can't travel around too much.
I'd order if I wasn't so afraid to. I'm scared to order them or eggs to my house or post office because even though I've looked up that I'm allowed to keep someone's always got something to say, not to sound so negative. Plus I'm not sure if I can order a small amount since the max I think will be best is four.
What you've described, then yes she is most definitely broody. I won't keep making her come out since now I will try my darndest with this chick idea. It'll make things a heck of a lot easier. It's funny how many times she's become broody in her life already.
chicken2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom