Downsizing

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
We are moving back to town. We got a great deal on a home we couldn't turn down. Lucky the town allows 6 hens, no roosters in the city. The huge problem is I have 15 hens, 2 mallards, 1 pekin. How do I decide who moves to the new coop and who moves to the freezer? I love all my birds. They have been a saving force in my life, when I got sick and almost died, (I went through 5 massive surgeries in less than a year), looking out the window and watching them in the yard gave me hope each day. Now I have no idea who to take. I know I'm allowed 6 but the yard at the new place would only support 4 tops.
Plus I need to research small coops to see what size to build to house 4 hens. I never had this problem before. My current coop is my 24x24 barn with 3/4 of acre of grass for them to roam and a pond for the ducks.

I swear this is more stressful than the actual move of humans.

once you live in the country and have peace and privacy, no matter how good the deal is you will never be happy living in the city. i couldn't and would stay and keep my chickens.

Yeah I know but thing is I call it the city but to most its a small town. I believe total population is around 10,000 in the city. And because I missed so much work because of illness we lost our country home and we found a bank foreclosure for 8,000. Its in a great neighborhood, older homes the one we bought was built in 1907.

I'm glad you found a new place to live. It sounds nice, even though it will be a change for you. At least the stores and other businesses are usually closer and you can get food delivered! I love living in the country, but sometimes I get tired of everything being a day trip. Plus, I think it's so cool to be able to order a pizza and have someone bring it to your house!

I hope you meet some nice neighbors after you get there. I used to chat with mine over the fence, when we were both working in the garden. That was nice. Does your new house have a porch? I lived in a place where people would go for walks and say, "Hi" when you'd sit on the porch. It was very friendly. You might really end up liking it there.

It would be really hard to have to make decisions about who can come along, though. It would be hard to pick out favorites. You might have particular chickens that are pals, that you want to stay together.

Could you try putting an ad on the forum and then on craigslist? Maybe someone would be willing to give some of them a new home? Those wouldn't have to go to the freezer, at least. Even if it was only some of them that were saved. It might make choosing a little less stressful. I wish I was close enough to help.

There are a lot of great designs for small coops on here. I really like the ones where the coop and run share one roof, with the coop elevated on one end. The chickens have space under the coop and you don't have to stoop to do maintenance. The ones that look like playhouses are really cute, too. You might have fun decorating a small coop, adding some cute details.

I hope everything works out for you.
hugs.gif

The house has a covered front porch. We have been working on the house and during breaks we sit on the porch and watch people go by. Wish I could take the ducks the most. But ducks arent in the ordnance (I checked). Maybe I could say they are chickens..
wink.png

Maybe you could talk one of your new neighbors into "housing" the chickens for you and let them have free range right over to your yard! That would get you up to eight.
big_smile.png
Just joking.... What a tough decision!
hugs.gif

Well got some of it narrowed down. I know I will be taking at least 1 wyandotte, and 1 EE. Hate to say it but the buffs and the leghorns more than likely will not make the trip. They are what is left of my original flock. They are 4 or 5 years old, so they have slowed on the eggs. And with the city limit of hens I really need to choose wisely on egg production. I refuse to ever buy another store bought egg. I need to be a responsible chicken owner and only keep what is truly needed. So I will keep the flock at 4. I don't want to ruin it for other people in the city by being the one "rotten egg"

I agree with you -- you need to be practical for your needs. Choose for productivity unless there is a more compelling reason like lousy personality.
Ideally, choose the ones that lay well, get along together and make you smile.

Back
Top Bottom