Downsizing

Do you maybe have a friend in the country that you could give the older birds to? That way you could still see them occasionally. (If you dont want to send them to freezer camp)

Whenever someone comes around looking at your ducks, teach them to hide their feet! ....and their beaks! Just tell them "these chickens sleep a lot!" lol

Good for you on making the move and finding that good deal. Country living is nice, but home is what you make of it-- so GOOD FOR YOU! Keep up being a good flock owner.

Glad you're feeling better and happy for you and your family on your new found home . Like the idea of keeping the chickens that are buddies together. It will make it less stressful for them.
I helped a gal out that was losing her home due to job loss. I took her older hens non layers, her rooster and a few younger one's for eggs. I am sure that there is someone close by that would be willing to take the remainder of the flock non layers and all! Couldn't imagine having to make the other choice on Freezer camp to pets that are near to your heart. Good luck with whatever works out!

I figured out how to downsize my flock with out causing a ruckus...CHICKEN MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My chicken math works like this. The city only allows 6 hens no roosters. Well I have less than 6 hens of each sub species of chickens. So chicken math means I only 4 chickens, (5 Buff, 3 Leghorns, 3 EE, 3 Wyandottes) But I also have 2 mallards and 1 pekin, but they were raised with the wyandottes and EE's so they really think they are chickens. So that again brings the count up to 6. So as you can see I am well with in the city ordnance pertaining to chickens.

Quote:
Good luck in making a decision. Where I live we have mallards flying by our house all the time and in the spring they even land in our yard and hang out on our pool cover in the water that has collected on it, so you can say that the(your) Mallards just landed in your yard and decided to call it home.

I would look at detailed pictures of every animal and then decide....who looks the most delicious!
lol.png

Oh man! What a hard decision...I don't know how I'd do it with my hens
hu.gif
I wish you luck and ultimately, happiness in town!!
smile.png
Keep us posted on how things turn out!

bout the ducks, does the ordinances even mention ducks specifically? If there is no law specifying no ducks, then there isn't a law outlawing them.

Good luck with the move. sounds like a wonderful house that will serve your needs. !

This is the only mention of birds in the ordnances:

Sec. 10-7. Raising animals, fowl, or bees.
No person shall in the city engage in the business of raising animals or hatching or raising domestic fowl, pigeons, or bees.
(Code 1971, § 6-7

But the code enforcement officer said 6 hens are allowed, even though this tries to say otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom