Doxycycline and Tylosin (Tylan) Doses

Bantamsday

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2021
I have some doxycycline and tylan powder medication in case of emergency, but am not sure what the dose (s) would be if I ever needed to treat a sick chicken with either of them. I haven't been able to find any posts where the doses makes sense to me...will try to upload a pic for more info on both of these meds. First time posting, so not quite sure how BYC works...;)

Attachments

• Chicken meds.jpg
    Chicken meds.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 111
I have some doxycycline and tylan powder medication in case of emergency, but am not sure what the dose (s) would be if I ever needed to treat a sick chicken with either of them. I haven't been able to find any posts where the doses makes sense to me...will try to upload a pic for more info on both of these meds. First time posting, so not quite sure how BYC works...;)
The dosages are right there on your label: give 1 tsp per gallon of water. For Tylan most links say for 3-5 days. It looks like doxycycline is 1 tsp per gallon for 3-5 days as well in some links that I have found. The chickens have to drink normally to get enough of the medicines. Those 2 drugs may treat symptoms of mycoplasma (MG.)

Got it! I guess when you give the medication in water its the same for pigeons and chickens and they drink what they need....what if I had to single dose one chicken? I'm gonna check out Nola985 links later....thanks a lot!

Doxycycline dosage is 20 mg per Kilogram per day for direct dosing one chicken. A Kg is 2.2 pounds. Tylosin or Tylan dosage is 10-20mg per Kg 3 times a day.

Thanks! Now I feel more prepared. If you were to recommend some other meds for an emergency kit what would it be? Just looking around online it seems the most common diseases/injuries in chickens (that can be treated) are predator attacks, peritonitus and crop issues...maybe I'm wrong??? Thanks for your help, I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions!

Doxycycline egg withdrawal can be up to 26 days in one link I read. Another link said studies showed it could be found in eggs up to 16 days after discontinuing it. FARAD is the organization to contact about a withdrawal time. Few antibiotics are approved for poultry in the US.

Thanks! Now I feel more prepared. If you were to recommend some other meds for an emergency kit what would it be? Just looking around online it seems the most common diseases/injuries in chickens (that can be treated) are predator attacks, peritonitus and crop issues...maybe I'm wrong??? Thanks for your help, I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions!
We inject 0.5 ml for bird under 5lbs once a day , or twice, 3-5 days in breast muscle (not under skin ) alternating sides—left ,right ,left ,right etc

Back
Top Bottom