Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
I have a 9mo old SLW rooster who presented a day ago with mild clear discharge from his left eye and nostril but was behaving normally. The following day, today, the discharge had stopped but he’d developed a slight, intermittent gurgle (still acting otherwise normal) but by the evening had developed more mucous and I can’t tell if he’s coughing or sneezing but it’s definitely one of those. His temp was within normal range, 104, so was hoping to hold off on starting any meds. I isolated him with food and nutri-drench water but if not improved in the morning would like to start him on an antibiotic. The only one I have (and of course it’s the holiday weekend so no vet and they haven’t been particularly helpful in the past anyway) is 1+1Cure Strong. It’s a doxycycline and bromhexine combo powder; 4mg bromhexine, 40mg doxy. Directions call for 1tsp per gallon water if treating multiple birds or 1/4tsp per quart for individual birds daily. The problem is he will never drink enough to get anywhere near a proper dose in so am wanting to give him the powder directly orally via food. I was thinking of dividing that 1/4tsp into 4 daily doses administered in a treat he’ll hopefully just gobble down (like on a grape or a tiny bit of peanut butter and bread) but wasn’t sure if that would be appropriate adjusted administration? And also, how many days should it be given if so?

It could be mycoplasma. Tetracycline should help with mycoplasma.
I don't know the proper dose of what you want to give him, but I have found that a small bit of powder (comparable to a baby aspirin) in a dropper or 3cc syringe is safe and sufficient. 1/4 teaspoon will be fine.

It could be mycoplasma. Tetracycline should help with mycoplasma.
I don't know the proper dose of what you want to give him, but I have found that a small bit of powder (comparable to a baby aspirin) in a dropper or 3cc syringe is safe and sufficient. 1/4 teaspoon will be fine.
Thank you for responding. From the doxycycline dosing instructions 1/4 tsp in a quart of water is the entire daily dose so I’d be concerned about giving 1/4 dosing tsp at one shot.

Back
Top Bottom