Need further help with Antibiotic dosing schedule and Treatment for possible EYP

Oh I know exactly what you mean on the food mess. My older son filled up their main pellet feeder one day and decided to be nice and add some grubs and meal worms in with the pellets…. Oh my they dug and dug to get all those treats! Took a while to try to break them from that habit. Sometimes they still make a mess for no good reason :)

Oh I know exactly what you mean on the food mess. My older son filled up their main pellet feeder one day and decided to be nice and add some grubs and meal worms in with the pellets…. Oh my they dug and dug to get all those treats! Took a while to try to break them from that habit. Sometimes they still make a mess for no good reason :)
Sorry I missed this- Hope you had a wonderful Easter Weekend!! 🙏:bun:jumpy🙏
Romans 6:23... Gives me goose bumps to think what was given for US!! Also puts my problems in perspective!
Alas....
How is Cherry doing??
I had one little Easter miracle!....Either Woodsy or PeeWee (the one who has had sour crop and lost so much weight) laid an EGG on Easter Sunday!! I was SO shocked to see two green eggs in that box!! Unless the one who lays almost daily figured out how to lay two perfect eggs in one morning 😂, that means one of my other EE's actually laid!! It's been so long and I thought I was gonna lose them both... I know things can change day to day but it made me so happy and my family /friends were there when I found it coming out to see the new coop set up after our Easter dinner!

I'm still not sure what I'm doing re: her antibiotic... my second dose on day 3 was not as smooth as the first 😏 - didn't realize I'd missed my target until I was about to put her down after petting and gently rubbing the area to "disperse" it some, that it was running down along her wing and into my lap!! :barnie
Sticky stuff too by then!!
SO back up to the house for a new dose/syringe and carefully did it but she did fine and has seemed to perk up some and she is my most likely suspect for laying that egg...as I did catch her coming out of an egg box 2 days prior...:celebrate
I know that doesn't mean she's out of the woods or ever will be but she seems to be feeling a bit better at least and that's one eggs that is NOT inside her causing more trouble...

SOOO still no input on how long to give this antibiotic to treat EYP... I am well aware it was not officially diagnosed by a vet but I've seen hundreds of posts where people also did not see a vet for one reason or another....
Prob. due to post length ;), not lack of vet diagnosis/script....

Will have to see what her 'poo' looks like today.... was def less yellow last couple days... right direction at least....

Def. leaning towards def giving a dose today- that would provide her with at least 9 days counting out three more from today's since it's long acting...

Do you remember how long Cherry was on antibiotics for it? Don't think I remember you saying and I don't want to lose this to go back and look....lol...and I've gotta get outside!!

Thanks for sharing your story about the feed btw :).... I'm glad I'm not the only one who made THAT error in judgement ;-) haha Oh the best intentions and we're battling bad behavior....but honestly mine did it anyway- just not as bad!! I'm ok with some wasted food as long as they EAT!!

I'm ACTUALLY gonna try giving them some fermented food now that I drained off the liquid just by pouring off the top and then scooped straight into the bowl with some chopped eggs on top= without leaving in a strainer like I usually do for a good while to get out as much moisture as I can and THEN adding in more unfermented layer pellets to make easier to feed them but I'm trying to find a good 'middle ground' that doesn't take SO much daggone prep time!!! My hubby says I 'cook' more for the chickens than him!! :lau

Sorry I missed this- Hope you had a wonderful Easter Weekend!! 🙏:bun:jumpy🙏
Romans 6:23... Gives me goose bumps to think what was given for US!! Also puts my problems in perspective!
Alas....
How is Cherry doing??
I had one little Easter miracle!....Either Woodsy or PeeWee (the one who has had sour crop and lost so much weight) laid an EGG on Easter Sunday!! I was SO shocked to see two green eggs in that box!! Unless the one who lays almost daily figured out how to lay two perfect eggs in one morning 😂, that means one of my other EE's actually laid!! It's been so long and I thought I was gonna lose them both... I know things can change day to day but it made me so happy and my family /friends were there when I found it coming out to see the new coop set up after our Easter dinner!

I'm still not sure what I'm doing re: her antibiotic... my second dose on day 3 was not as smooth as the first 😏 - didn't realize I'd missed my target until I was about to put her down after petting and gently rubbing the area to "disperse" it some, that it was running down along her wing and into my lap!! :barnie
Sticky stuff too by then!!
SO back up to the house for a new dose/syringe and carefully did it but she did fine and has seemed to perk up some and she is my most likely suspect for laying that egg...as I did catch her coming out of an egg box 2 days prior...:celebrate
I know that doesn't mean she's out of the woods or ever will be but she seems to be feeling a bit better at least and that's one eggs that is NOT inside her causing more trouble...

SOOO still no input on how long to give this antibiotic to treat EYP... I am well aware it was not officially diagnosed by a vet but I've seen hundreds of posts where people also did not see a vet for one reason or another....
Prob. due to post length ;), not lack of vet diagnosis/script....

Will have to see what her 'poo' looks like today.... was def less yellow last couple days... right direction at least....

Def. leaning towards def giving a dose today- that would provide her with at least 9 days counting out three more from today's since it's long acting...

Do you remember how long Cherry was on antibiotics for it? Don't think I remember you saying and I don't want to lose this to go back and look....lol...and I've gotta get outside!!

Thanks for sharing your story about the feed btw :).... I'm glad I'm not the only one who made THAT error in judgement ;-) haha Oh the best intentions and we're battling bad behavior....but honestly mine did it anyway- just not as bad!! I'm ok with some wasted food as long as they EAT!!

I'm ACTUALLY gonna try giving them some fermented food now that I drained off the liquid just by pouring off the top and then scooped straight into the bowl with some chopped eggs on top= without leaving in a strainer like I usually do for a good while to get out as much moisture as I can and THEN adding in more unfermented layer pellets to make easier to feed them but I'm trying to find a good 'middle ground' that doesn't take SO much daggone prep time!!! My hubby says I 'cook' more for the chickens than him!! :lau
Oh I'm so happy to hear you had a lovely Easter and that all is moving along! Cherry is hanging in there, very picky with what she wants to eat right now, but still up and at it, currently sunbathing on the lawn :)

Her antibiotics course was 10 days if that helps.

Enjoy the outdoor time today! I love that you cook so thoughtfully for your flock, so sweet, they are worth it! I'm about to make Cherry some oatmeal to see if that perks her interest in eating.

Oh I'm so happy to hear you had a lovely Easter and that all is moving along! Cherry is hanging in there, very picky with what she wants to eat right now, but still up and at it, currently sunbathing on the lawn :)

Her antibiotics course was 10 days if that helps.

Enjoy the outdoor time today! I love that you cook so thoughtfully for your flock, so sweet, they are worth it! I'm about to make Cherry some oatmeal to see if that perks her interest in eating.
:loveAwww… thanks and back at ya!! Lucky girl to get some favorites to tempt her!! Before I realized this could be EYP (kinda had tunnel vision and went worst case to ascites as Puffy had it and died so quick) I knew there was really nothing that would treat it so I gave her all the Grubbies she wanted ( she is one of two that would eat their weight if allowed! WHEN WELL 🤣 kinda like me with goat cheese😂😂)

Might have been a good thing cause she wasn’t eating near enough to be fighting an infection as bad as peritonitis!

They are tough girls, eh?! I’d be balled up rocking myself in the corner repeating “magically delicious…” over and over having lost it!! J/k😊

Glad they’re both hanging in there and enjoying a beautiful sunny day!!!🌞

BTW-Yes! That helps very much… was debating 9 days or maybe giving her a final dose orally?! We’ll see- one day at a time…
🌺 Thanks!!

Last edited:
oops- forgot to include that Original LONG post.... 😔 Again-sorry!! now there's TWO!!
@ Azygous could you check my math/thinking on giving Oxytetracycline (Liquamycin LA-200 from TSC is quickest I can find- otc without vet available)
I have an Easter Egger- the one in the avatar "Woodsy" and this sweet little girl is either dealing with ascites OR possibly an infection or bad inflammation from a reproductive issue such as EYP.
**FYI-I WILL post this as well in a new post in illnesses but need to run out and going to hit 'reply for now'.... I appreciate ANY help you or others can provide...

Just realized in the last couple weeks that she is indeed STILL not laying since her particularly hard molt this past late fall (long story a blue egg layer we have has been laying suddenly green eggs like Woodsy and her sister PeeWee do - the only two I couldn't tell whose was whose in the past. For some reason Dandy started to lay green eggs and I didn't catch it was NOT Woodsy until I witnessed it a couple weeks ago...

SO no laying- which I was ok with as they've had multiple sources of stress from that molt forward. Longest story short- probable worms and hadn't been wormed but once prior so tried once with Fenbendazole which we'd used before but things didn't get better and one of the ones I'd been most worried about wouldn't finish her course- could not MAKE her eat that stuff the last day.... SO we also used Valbazen and repeated at Day 10 as directed after they'd also had the stress of finally moving into the new coop/run built just past the end of their old one so same area etc. and had been a slow build they'd been all over during the 6 months- tried to minimize the stress but alas.... We had some SUPER weird stuff go down for girls that were always healthy previously... one by one they'd be stand offish puff up, hunker down and close their eyes- that weird looking ominous look of the whitish looking ?lower eyelid over an open eye vs eyes shut lids- meeting in middle like on roost...
ANYWAY not good... I've learned when they aren't in motion with heads down/tails up exploring and pecking unless sunning, dirt bathing, and chilling then it's not good... tails down no bueno!

SO this lasted only about day each- first one I thought was just dehydrated b/c she was simply unwilling to get herself off the new roost after the move and has since been lowered/changed... but each got better after a day or two pulled aside for some attention by me- dropping water and even nutridrench in some cases- and all got better except for the diarrhea which continued- they had a lot of head 'shaking' or jerking too like they were bothered by pests but none seen... we unfortunately lost our "big" girl who we think had underlying issues from birth as she never really laid or MAY have had an odd egg rarely over her lifetime- the "big" girls are going to be 3 in like 3rd week of may and the little Easter Eggers will be 3 about 6 weeks later. (so "spring chickens" that laid non-stop until their second fall when they finally went thru a full molt...) and when things started to get weird.
They'd had the diarrhea starting in the old coop/run and that's why we tried Fenbenazole and tried Corid but it was from when they were much younger and powdered so after we lost Puffy rather quickly after she became ill looking/acting, we repeated that with a new bottle of 9.6% liquid CORID just out of an abundance of caution! Did ALL waterers for full time frame as directed.

Things for the most part started to get back to normal but then I realized that neither of my olive eggers were laying and looked at them much closer- admittedly I'd never checked their crops before- no idea I was supposed to ;-) but found PeeWee to have sour crop as it was boggy in am before food/water (after 12 hrs) and once I massaged it a few times while pulling her aside in our 'hospital pen' in the barn she made it clear it was sour.... it was as if it "burped' her and I'd suddenly feel it much flatter- and def. doughy- pliable- and DEF smell her sour bad breath... She was having liquid watery poops with occasional green and white tinged pieces in it- sometimes partially formed and sometimes liquid. Followed the suggestions re: witholding food water/etc. and can get into much better details if desired from my notes, but for now- just trying to summarize with as much info as possible. Gave her generic Monistat 2% at 1/2 inch (as it comes out of tube pulled into 1cc syringe) and gave it orally BID for a full 7 days- one morning past...
She had to be put back with the flock before we were done as I was worried she was not going to make it thru a very cold night (into 20's not nl here) and had lost a LOT of weight- prominent keel bone and felt like a pea! She would eat some- but not great- and seemed to forget what her waterer was unless I put it on the floor of pen where she'd mess it up- but was obviously thirsty- would go after a drop of water on dirty rim of bin I was putting it up on... long story- I spent lot of time getting fluids and nutrients into her by dropper and got lots of massages- she seemed to like them and never protested- would close her eyes and actually fall asleep... truly thought I'd lose her a few times but the tough little girl is doing "Ok" with the crew since- have pulled her separate for crop massages and trying various oils when it seemed to almost be too firm ?impacted but is passing poop even though still very much the same but decent amounts...
Have started her yesterday finally on acidified copper sulfate in all waterers available at 1/4tsp per gallon and will be changing out daily... she has been quite interested in it...and had a good appetite for scrambled eggs in am last several days... had to pull her aside though as the bigger gals would run her off and eat it!

OK_ Woodsy I need the soonest help with- sending DH to TSC to get Oxytetracycline 200mg/ml so I can give her something to work faster than something orally!
She went thru all those same things- and then I started to realize she was not running to meet me when out of run foraging...they ALWAYS do no matter whether I have anything in my hands or not ;-) but she seemed to want to but was having trouble- noticed her belly was bigger and lower and making things hard- didn't look short of breath just from that but WILL open beak breath if I have to chase her around to pick her up... even just in the run- the stress has her heart racing and she seems to have shortness of breath..... so I just went worst case scenario in my tunnel vision head with the same thing that Puffy seemed to have- def felt like ascites and I was trying to come to terms with my fav little buddy having something I can't help... then in reading and doing as much due diligence as I could, it hit me that with her dirty butt that I almost forgot out as I skipped her from the bath for caked up butts I did for my two remaining "big girls" Lady and Lily- "Asian Blacks" from TSC as well. Didn't want to stress her as she did NOT want to be held... and had never bathed her before as all EE's had clean fluffy butts always...
So she has had YELLOWISH whitish running poo and that hit me that she could have EYP as I've ALSO been dealing with my Asian Black biggest girl Lady laying soft shelled eggs- has in the past- maybe more than I realized in hindsight- as I thought that the occasionally pecked Lily eggs maybe got broken and that's what they were eating- and has happened- but she had a recent period of having a difficult laying of soft shelled eggs even out in run and one day was trying to do so as she followed as fast as she could back to the run to get fermented food for 'linner' She eats heartily and was trying so hard- but would stop and push and eventually made it to run and laid it there then scarfed... I have been watching her and any time she is having trouble give her calcium mixed up to equal at least an ES tums in approx 1cc liquid by syringe that she happily takes- and since I've never seen her or her sister Lily eat the supplied oyster shell, and both have issues with shell hardness at times- she had two back to back soft shelled eggs (which thankfully I knew to watch for the second one) and the next day she laid a GIGANTIC two yolk egg with a slightly mishappen middle (like a bigger ring around middle) but laid without problem in the egg box where she does usually lay.

SO- reproductive issues are on my mind with a sour crop chick not laying, losing one who had possible tumors or issues from birth we're told, Lily with above issues and now Woodsy who I realized was not laying those green eggs after all and has a big firm belly and above symptoms- her poop has not changed and is just runny yellowish white- trying to pay more attention to see quality/quantity. She seems to hang back with PeeWee in the run with tail slightly down but not really "penguin" like upward stance- she will pick around with tail up and does want to eat but is low many on our pecking order and gets run off and eats after everyone has their fill sometimes- usually have two feeders so this isn't a problem but was feeding ALL of them for PeeWee with crop problem when she came back before all better and so bringing out two bowls of moistened food- did start fermenting it instead again like I used to- but they will literally growl almost and not let her eat- but she's GOOD out of run in yard- she is scratching and pecking with tail up but have also noticed she's either lost several big feathers around her hocks and tail area where I can now see down around her belly and sides OR they're pecking at her- don't see that extent but not watching 24/7...

SOOOO passed out yet?? this is why I have never posted- it's SO much!!
I'm willing to give this girl a shot a survivial if it is indeed EYP or another infection from reproductive issues- but thought EYP due to color of 'poo'...

I need to confirm the dose and route of an SQ injection.
Husband is picking up the "Liquamycin LA-200" or oxytetracycline which I chose not only cause I can get it locally without vet script- but also as it's a "broad spectrum" which will cover E.Coli and several other bugs listed as potential problems in EYP... says it's long acting but not sure completely about length of treatment either- looking at article I had already found on poultryDVM which says 5mg/kg SQ or IM (which it warns can cause muscle irritation or even necrosis depending on dose) every 12-24hrs....

That's quite a range ;-) so I'm trying to get good notes on ALL the various posts but getting overwhelmed with back and forth and would like to confirm- as before finding this I saw in comments for med, that they were told to use 0.2ml/lb as "injection" for chicken per her vet....

I'm a former RN and have had sick kitties who I had to give SQ fluid to often so I'm good IF I know what/and where!! Only just recently gave them their first oral dose of medication with the Valbazen....

Woodsy weighs 6.2 lbs two days ago- can recheck prior to dosing- but I know a lot of that is fluid as her only well chicken like her weighs 4.8 lbs and the sour crop little one now weighs 2.7-2.8lbs... So do I dose off what he normal weight would be (closer to 5lbs or do we factor in the fluid weight?) Yeah- my ICU brain is over thinking this I'm sure...;-) but love this little gal and want everything ready to roll before I put her thru any stress....

btw- also gave her one dose of Meloxicam at 0.5mg/kg as seen in many vet posts on Poultry DVM as well as others for the swelling and resultant discomfort. She tolerated well but didn't repeat yet- was night before last..

:he
WHEW- finally got it all out even if it's hard to follow- I'm sorry if so!!! Have written and given up more than once- all the way back to before we lost Puffy- was awful fyi- as if she had a sudden seizure and got hurt as she flopped around on floor as I lost hold being shocked by it and getting flapped in the face- poor girl... was not the way I want any of them to go....🥺
Hope I answered most of the questions you guys wanted info on- I have LOTS of pics but he'll be here any minute with meds and I've got to get back out there to them as it's warm and PeeWee is still locked up separate from much ealier...want to get them out on a nice afternoon....
I need a flow chart for your posts, but enjoyed them immensely! 😁 Not the trouble, just your prose. Also, I think I think one of my hens is having a similar issue. I’m going to try the same meds you used (Liquamycin). I hope it went well. Did you determine 0.5/kg was correct? I hope you see this ☺️

Back
Top Bottom