Dr. Danielle Marie

DrDanielle

In the Brooder
May 8, 2023
I am new to having chickens! I am having issues I just took the 2nd almost dead chicken home today to my house because she was attacked by the flock. I put her in the cage at home with the other chicken that has been healing for the last 3 weeks and she attacked her. They all seem to be attacking each other. I do not have a Roster. I told my business partner we need one and he keeps stating no. I am totally upset these are my babies. I drive 1 hour daily to take care of these 20 chickens daily- lost one about 8 weeks ago to being egg bound. I have a mixture of chickens - 5 Americana's, 5 Red Rhode Islands, 4 Brown Italian Leg Horns, 3 Easter Eagers, and 3 Golden Buffets. I have one Golden Buffet who's a real bully - she picks everyone's feathers out. I put nose rings in them all for about 2 weeks and this really help and then took them out so they would not get infected and have nose rot. I put saddles on them to protect them from each pecking out the feathers on each other this seems to help. I think the coop may be to small. I am open for suggestions and help- PLEASE! I live in sub-division - I cannot house chickens. I have them in a spare bedroom healing and now I have to figure out how to get them back into the coop and acclimate them to the cold weather. Honestly - I am an exhausted and worried chicken mother. Dr. Danielle :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I am sorry you are having troubles :hugs It's very likely they are too crowded, birds turn on each other when the don't have enough personal space. Do they get outside at all? How many birds and how many square feet in the coop?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I think the coop may be to small.
You need to provide 3.5-4 sq ft per bird in the coop and an additional 12-15 sq ft per bird in the run. The run should have lots of things to do in it, like good organic substrate to scratch through, places to jump up and perch on like branches, stumps, old wood chairs/stools, pallets or some other visual obstruction to hide behind, etc.
I put her in the cage at home with the other chicken
You cannot just put two chickens together that do not know each other. They will nearly ALWAYS attack each other. They need to be secured in such a way that they can see each other but not touch and stay like this for at least a week before they are permitted to intermingle AFTER ensuring they have a properly sized and enriched environment.

Back
Top Bottom