Dr Earth "Food Grade" Kelp ok for hens?

little20project

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
I am interested in adding kelp to my hen's feed & I'm looking at Dr. Earth Food Grade Kelp on Amazon. It says its people & pet safe on the bag but I can't find anyone online who has used this brand for their flock. Any insight or tips would be helpful. Thoughts?

What feed do you want to add this to?
Can you post a direct link to the product you're talking about?

Guessing they mean this. Its intended as plant fertilizer, likely for the trace minerals seaweed tends to be heavy in - but without knowing what seaweeds, its all guesses after that.

and here is the Dr. Earth website for it. Its their only kelp product. (OK, they have liquid seaweed concentrate). Anyhow, here is the MSDS for it, because the main product page tells you nothing. (We are still calling them MSDS sheets???) Anyhow, the MSDS tells you almost nothing more of use.

No, I would not use it. There is nothing to recommend it - simply no information on which to base a decision, except that it doesn't claim to contain anything I value in chicken feed.

Guessing they mean this. Its intended as plant fertilizer, likely for the trace minerals seaweed tends to be heavy in - but without knowing what seaweeds, its all guesses after that.

and here is the Dr. Earth website for it. Its their only kelp product. (OK, they have liquid seaweed concentrate). Anyhow, here is the MSDS for it, because the main product page tells you nothing. (We are still calling them MSDS sheets???) Anyhow, the MSDS tells you almost nothing more of use.

No, I would not use it. There is nothing to recommend it - simply no information on which to base a decision, except that it doesn't claim to contain anything I value in chicken feed.
I found the OP's other thread where they were mixing three different types of feeds together and having problem eggs and I think the problem is mixing the three different feeds together to begin with.

I think the OP should take a good hard look at the three things they're already feeding and cut it back to one crumbled or pelleted type feed.

I found the OP's other thread where they were mixing three different types of feeds together and having problem eggs and I think the problem is mixing the three different feeds together to begin with.

I think the OP should take a good hard look at the three things they're already feeding and cut it back to one crumbled or pelleted type feed.
I can't touch your experience, but I may go dig up the thread and lend my very limited assistance if I see something I can confidently and intelligently weigh in on. Later.

I need to go mix up some feed for my birds. ;)

Maybe the better question is why you think they need it? Personally I would source local vegetables that are past human consumption. A farmer would prefer a partial loss instead of an entire loss. Buy at a fraction of normal price

Chickens can and will eat nearly anything. Pigs and chickens were the original garbage disposal.

I am interested in adding kelp to my hen's feed & I'm looking at Dr. Earth Food Grade Kelp on Amazon. It says its people & pet safe on the bag but I can't find anyone online who has used this brand for their flock. Any insight or tips would be helpful. Thoughts?
I JUST came across this today! Curious as well!

https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-coop-kelp-organic/dp/256478

I would give them that and not a product intended for plants with additives.
I have no idea why you would assume the other product is "full of additives" (whatever else it is, that does not appear to be the case, in fact it claims to be organic...), but equally importantly, I have no idea why you think feeding the stuff your recommended would be beneficial to your birds?

They claim its high in vitamins, but offer no quantities, it has no niacin, and tons of salt. Moreover, if its high in calcium as they claim (and many kelp species are relatively high calcium compared to other plants), that's a health risk to your hatchlings and juveniles, your roosters, and your low production hens...

1634130118131.png

Back
Top Bottom