drafts vs ventilation

bumblebird

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
What differentiates ventilation from drafts? How much vent do you need and when chickens want to be away from drafts, does that mean you just close up the wall joints so there aren't cracks?

Hello @bumblebird ! I think the answer to your question initially is a draft is air moving in the nest-boxes or near the roost where the girls sleep, whereas ventilation is controlled air movement(passive or active) in an area where the air won't bother the girls.
smile.png

Here is a fantastic article on ventilation from another BYC member that I found very informative:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Hope it helps!
T&S

The way I understand it ventilation let's bad air out whereas drafts blow air directly onto the chickens. Usually ventilation is put in higher than the roosts for cold weather.

In colder climates where the birds are inside all through winter ventilation is a bigger deal as moisture from the birds and their poop builds up fast. I live in a milder climate so I open the big window flaps every day and also scoop the poop daily so there isn't a build up inside.

Thank you! That's kind of what I was figuring, but needed additional input. The article is helpful, too.

Back
Top Bottom