Dragging bedding/nesting material into run

jarrettchapman

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
So we are new to having chickens and until now I have been on the side reading lots of posts and going along just fine. However, I am running into an issue that is not a big deal but is driving me nuts and I could not find an answer already in the forums.

Background:
  • We have a variation of the WICHITA "CABIN COOP" which I love and had built based upon research here on BYC.
  • We now have 9 hens (2-3 are laying) that we raised from chicks. 5 Buff Orphintons and 4 Golden Comets.
  • I have used a fine crushed limestone/sand for the run
  • The inside of the hen house is lined with linoleum tile and I use Pine shavings under the roosts and hay in the nesting boxes.
  • Our girls go in and out on their own no issues
  • Food/Water is in the run

Enter Annoying problem- I am having to clean the coop way more than I would like as they keep carrying the shavings and hay outside to the run! How in the world do I keep the shavings and hay in the house and not going out to the run?

I like the idea of the deep litter method but cant keep enough shavings in the house to make it work AND when they pull all that out to the sand it makes a mess that I have to clean almost weekly (causing me to go through way more sand that I would like because once the litter is mixed in it just does not rake out.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if there is no good answer that is fine will just keep cleaning but I hope someone can offer advice.

Take Care,
The Chapmans

Assuming here that the bottom of your pop door is level with the floor?

Typically I cut the opening for the pop door 8" or so above the floor. this way they have to go up to get out, and the shavings stay put. For the doors I use to access the coop I fabricate removable litter dams, that slide down onto a cleat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/funky-chicken-coop

About 3/4 of the way down.

Quote: You REALLY don't have to do all that cleaning
It's not hurting anything to have some shavings in the sand, and the chickens certainly don't mind

And follow AtholCoops's advice about the door to solve the prblem

Ditto on what the previous 2 members said, and I want to add to your first post.....
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom