Dragonflys?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Vosify, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Vosify

Vosify Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Sask, Canada
    My newst Silver Cochin Hen goes crazy for dragonflies! As we have tons, she stuffs herself. Iv searched around and can't seem to find an answer. But are dragonflies even good for my chickens? The rooster doesn't seem to interested in them at all.

My normally gentle hen will launch herself all over me and anything that had a dragonfly on it. Including poor old Daisy the dog. It's rather entertaining. Just wish I knew she wasn't harming herself by eating them.

[​IMG]

2. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Chickens love bugs of all kinds ( not so much stink bugs ) - its like a scene from the lion king movie with my flock. They gobble and slurp up as much as they can when they free range. [​IMG]

3. Vosify

May 29, 2013
    Sask, Canada
    I find it entertaining, I just wanted to make sure they were good for her haha :D

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If she has stuffed herself and is not dead, but still chasing them. there's your answer. I haven't seen mine eat any they must be an acquired taste.

5. Vosify

May 29, 2013
    Sask, Canada
    She just tasted one today, and went crazy for more. So it could really be an acquired taste. Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by