Drained a Hen, First Time in Years....Removed 660 cc Yellow Fluid RIP, HOPE *GRAPHIC PHOTOS ADDED

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
...we could have done more but she started to squirm and I told DH to stop. There was more in her, poor Hope, but this was only to make her more comfortable. Mind you, this will NOT save her because it's a chronic condition. She is a breeder quality Buff Orpington, first ever true breeder bird I've had this issue with. She is a huge framed hen, 3 1/2 years old, from the same stock my 6 year old Nugget came from. Haven't drained a hen since the days of Olivia and Ivy.

Hope only laid eggs for a couple of months and never laid again, then she began the cycle of bloating up, then it would subside, then it would be worse and I'd dig a grave for her, then she'd rally. This has been going on since she was a year and a half old. I've never seen anything like it, never seen a hen survive this long in this condition. I determined, from all my experience, not to give her antibiotics (did it the first time, but never again), not to drain her. But her body always took care of it until this last time. She has ZERO meat on her keel, but her abdomen was the size of a bowling ball and she could barely drag it around, but she's never lost her appetite, one reason we haven't put her down-she's still strong for some unknown reason. She is all bones, feathers and abdomen, yet keeps going and going and going.

Bought a 60 cc syringe and set out to give her some relief. She is not one to like to be held, but she leaned against my chest and closed her eyes and let us do it, only flinching when the needle broke the skin.Note, we leave the needle in place, removing the full syringe each time to squirt out the liquid into a jar, then reattach.

We drained 660 cc, 11 syringes full of this gunk, and only stopped when she began to stir a bit. This jar weighs 28 ounces. Poor Hope. She's trying to get her legs back under her after having them spread apart for so long. When she dies, I will do a necropsy to see why she has never laid more than a handful of eggs in her life, to see what's really in there. What a strong constitution this hen has to keep going this long, amazing. Any lesser bird would have died two years ago.

Last edited:
Thank you. I know this won't save her, never had any delusions about that after what I've seen, but if she dies, at least she can breathe and she can stand up easier. Her heart isn't as taxed by all this excess fluid weighing her down.

We had the same symptoms in one of our little girls. We lost her today. The vet took an x-ray and told us her stomach had ruptured and was filling her belly with fluid. She was still eating but was getting hugely bloated.

This fluid is common in hens with reproductive failures, whether egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying or just reproductive cancer. Can also happen with congestive heart failure. Never heard of a ruputured stomach. To be honest, I'm skeptical of that diagnosis.

Yes, ma'am, it certainly was. She still walks dragging her feet so either she's just weak or there's quite a bit more in there, or maybe both. She's pretty tough to live with this condition (whatever is going on in there) as long as she has. When she passes, I will definitely open her up and see what the deal is. She never loses her appetite so when she does, I'll know she is truly dying!

Back
Top Bottom