Drake attacking chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Willowbirch, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Willowbirch

Willowbirch Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    I have a Drake, a duck and four chickens (hens). One of my hens started to show signs of being pecked and today I saw my drake chasing her all around the coop. He pecks at her neck and back. He’s quite aggressive and then backs off. They grew up together as hatchlings - any idea what’s up?

2. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you are in the northern hemisphere, spring is beginning and hormones are flowing. Drakes are very sexually aggressive in the spring. I suspect he's trying to breed your hen, which isn't a good thing. Drakes have parts that are not compatible with chickens and he could hurt them. You may have to separate him.

aart likes this.
  3. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    Drakes shouldn't be kept with chicken hens unless they have plenty of duck hens to breed. If he manages to breed your chicken, he could kill it. Chickens aren't meant to accept penises.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Drake’s can be kept with chickens,while some cannot.Some knw species are different and some don’t or just don’t care .Seperate him or get more girls.

5. Willowbirch

Willowbirch Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Ok. Thanks. I will get him more girls.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Getting him more girls will not keep him from killing the hens you have. Please, listen to the recommendations and immediately separate him from your hens. A single breeding could kill your hen.

Mosey2003 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: