Drake attacking ducklings

Tnballgirl

Chirping
May 10, 2022
History: 2 mallards purchased at RK 1 year ago ( one male and one female), 10- 2 week old ducklings from these 2 mallards; one extra mallard has flown in to our pond and been around for a couple of months; both males leave and return almost every day; there were 12 ducklings on Friday of last week, we are at 10 now with no idea what happened to the 2.

The susie will come and "bark" at our window when she wants us to throw out feed, or when she feels a perceived threat of some kind, however these ducks (parents) are not enclosed and have not been since released at 5-6 weeks on to the pond.

Awakened this AM at 5AM by susie, outside, the orginal drake has one duckling separated from the rest and susie is chasing him while he is snapping at the baby. The other drake (incidentally is an eclipse duck) doesnt appear to be involved in any of the mess. I can only assume that this is what has happened to the 2 missing ducklings.

1. We dont have enclosures
2. The ducks are not necessarily wild nor tame, they arent terrified of us, but they will not come all of the way up to us

Will susie hurt herself if we are able to somehow try to capture her and babies, trying to escape?
Is this aggression due to mating season or just a natural aggression against ducklings?
Any suggestions on diffusing the situation or is isolation the only idea?
Attached a photo of property for reference

Last edited:
20220617_054703.jpg

Drakes can and will kill ducklings. If at all possible try and get the mama and ducklings into a temp fenced area. Mama may not stay but at least she can come back and forth. But the ducklings could have been killed by the drake or snapping turtles or owls or a hawk. There are all manner of predators that love ducklings.
Taking Mallards that have been bred to be domesticated are different than their wild counterparts they should be raised and cared for like we do all our domestic poultry. Mama and ducklings need to be kept safe until ducklings are at least 3-4 weeks old then they are better able to keep away from a drake bent on hurting them. Maybe since susie comes up for food you can entice her into someplace where her and ducklings will be safe? you have a beautiful place.

Drakes can and will kill ducklings. If at all possible try and get the mama and ducklings into a temp fenced area. Mama may not stay but at least she can come back and forth. But the ducklings could have been killed by the drake or snapping turtles or owls or a hawk. There are all manner of predators that love ducklings.
Taking Mallards that have been bred to be domesticated are different than their wild counterparts they should be raised and cared for like we do all our domestic poultry. Mama and ducklings need to be kept safe until ducklings are at least 3-4 weeks old then they are better able to keep away from a drake bent on hurting them. Maybe since susie comes up for food you can entice her into someplace where her and ducklings will be safe? you have a beautiful place.
We don't have any snappers, but we do have a few bigger turtles. Hawk is entirely possible, although we haven't "seen" any around. Theres not much wildlife around, although I can't watch 100% of the time.

So, I have a stand up round pen that we have chicken wire around the bottom, however, when I attempted to move her and the FIRST batch of eggs she laid (to protect from turtles eating the eggs) she went nuts sticking her head through the holes and throwing herself into the sides. I was afraid she was going to seriously injure herself so opened the door. She promptly escaped and left the eggs and wouldn't sit again. I dont want to terrify her and torture her. But I also don't want just watch the babies get picked off one at a time....I have 2 in a stock tank that I had to hatch myself because she left them and didn't go back. I wanted them to be reunited but from everything I've been told and am reading, that window was only within a day of them hatching and now she wouldn't accept them, so I'm keeping them up until they are big enough.

Thing is putting the ducklings in along with mama the ducklings will be safe and mama should be able to fly in and out right? And if she decideds not to stay with the ducking then you will have these ducklings to put with the 2 you hatched and eventually they will be flock. Once adult size they can go on the pond. Always a chance of a predator but at least they have a better chance of survival.

Back
Top Bottom