Drake feed versus duck feed - how's this work?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read that the levels of calcium good for laying ducks harm drakes. Uhm, I have a very simple setup. How are we supposed to give everyone what they need? [​IMG]

Right now this is academic - ducks have yet to arrive, but I reckon Murphy's law will apply - I will get at least one drake with my 10 duck order, and if I need to build something or design something, I would like to start now.

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I have always fed Cocoa (female) and Ebony (male) the same thing since I got them. Chick starter then chick grower now egg layer. He is fine and healthy. I have a seperate bowl of oyster shell that Cocoa picks at and eats, but Ebony never touches it. I give them some fresh greens every day and they forage all day long since they are free range. I just make sure that they are getting enough greens with there food.

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Just like new chick mom said, feed the same thing throughout their life.....drakes will eat layer feed too. Provide a bowl of grit, females will eat it when they need too and drakes wont even touch it.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Shew! Relief![​IMG]

On to the next challenge!

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    This is another BYC myth/fact. No truth to it at all.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I've never heard of that. I feed all my ducks(including the 2 boys) All Purpose Poultry (from Del's) It's 16% protein, not sure on calcium % but I have never, ever had a shell problem. Not even with my hens, and they're all fairly new to laying.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

*raises hand* TSC claims to carry Dumor and Purina... starter up to layer... also carry corn (cracked and un)...

Reading this topic, and others... Would this plan make sense... figuring on four... hopefully 3 ducks 1 drake (but if it's a pairing breed then 2&2)

Crumbles for ducklings until 4-6 weeks (any estimates on how much crumble that amounts to so I know how much I need on hand?)
    Layer Pellets after that, with some cracked corn tossed in to stretch things out (estimate for amount of feed for four/week or month?)

Would that be enough nutrients for the girls? Or would extra grit or calcium be needed?
    Would adding corn negate the extra calcium that the boys don't need?
    With that plan, how often to offer greens and whatnot?

Totally ignorant so any advice is appreciated (here or PM)... and if this isn't on topic Modly Ones please feel free to snip it out. [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    PineappleMama,

This sounds on-topic to me (OP). Just slightly expanded! It's about how to feed everybody, all together, without any health issues.

I have been reading on bags of waterfowl and poultry feed, an estimate of 0.2 to 0.4 pounds per bird per day. Of course it is difficult to know exactly, because of variation in breed, weather conditions, housing conditions, and wastage.

I have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and will look up (I have read through a couple of times, but don't trust my memory always).

And right now - I have to go get ready for an appointment. Stay tuned!

Best,

Amiga

All - my apologies - I meant to type "day," and typed "week," 1,000 apologies from me!!!! 0.2 to 0.4 pounds per bird per DAY. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Amiga! I've yet to find a copy of that at Half Price OR my Library. I'm such a cheapskate, $18+ for a book is just very rich for my blood. Then again, so is duck so...

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The birds will need grit if they have no way of getting it themselves from their environment. So, while they are quite young, I believe you will need to provide them with some grit. If they are out and about and foraging, they will likely pick up enough grit from the ground.

The Holderreads place a little chick-sized grit and oatmeal on top of 18% protein starter/grower crumbles.

From what I have seen on packages of premixed feed, you may or may not need to have oyster or egg shell available - check the label.

I may try using an all-purpose feed with some free-choice oyster shell or crushed egg shells. Some have said their ducks (not drakes) nibble at the shells and the drakes leave them alone.

(my ducks are scheduled to arrive around 3/23)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by