Drake help

Scookmom

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
My drake is overly aggressive with only 1 of my females and has pulled out her feathers on her necks. I feel so bad for her. I have 7 females to 1 male and has mated with a few of the others. But I guess he has his favorite. Also I hatched him along with another female and they imprinted on each other so they go everywhere together and what's hilarious is when he is out mating with the older girls she is just following behind him. Like she is in the friend zone. I guess my question is how to I get him to stop doing that. Right now I have him separate to give her break. They free range so they are not all stuck in the same space all the time. I just hate having to keep him penned up while everyone else is out playing. And suggestions appreciated. Oh and he also likes to go after my male dog too. Like charges him. Maybe a male dominant thing or something.

It is a male dominant thing and drake jail is about the only thing you can do. I do not think the one he is picking on is his favorite, just the opposite, she is the bottom of the pecking order and he is keeping her in her place. In my experience, fixes are only temporary. Personally, I eventually had to rehome aggressive drakes more than once. Mine got worse with time, not better. Then, I raised a young drake from a type known to be less aggressive (mine is a Hookbill) with my old girls. They have taught him manners and so far he is very gentle.

Another suggestion would be put the drake with 4 females and put the one that's taking brunt of things with the remaining two and keep them as a separate flock for a bit. Your drake should turn his attention to one of the females he's with and it will give your poor girl a break. It also allows for everyone to have friends to hang out with instead of being singled out and lonely.

It is a male dominant thing and drake jail is about the only thing you can do. I do not think the one he is picking on is his favorite, just the opposite, she is the bottom of the pecking order and he is keeping her in her place. In my experience, fixes are only temporary. Personally, I eventually had to rehome aggressive drakes more than once. Mine got worse with time, not better. Then, I raised a young drake from a type known to be less aggressive (mine is a Hookbill) with my old girls. They have taught him manners and so far he is very gentle.

Thank you. I just hate drake jail. He is still young too almost a year old now. I hatched him out from some offspring off my mother in laws the male is a Pekin who had mated with her Magpie. I was hoping with us hand raising that he wouldn't be so aggressive. We are not giving up on him. We lost my mother in law a year and half ago and was able to get 5 babies out of her flock before rehoming them so this one he is special to us. We got 2 male and 3 female which my sister got the others. And her male is also a little bit aggressive. But maybe just being at that teenager phase haha. I'm hoping they calm down. I've only had females. Thank you for your help and feedback.

Another suggestion would be put the drake with 4 females and put the one that's taking brunt of things with the remaining two and keep them as a separate flock for a bit. Your drake should turn his attention to one of the females he's with and it will give your poor girl a break. It also allows for everyone to have friends to hang out with instead of being singled out and lonely.
Thank you. I'll try that as well. I just hate to see him in lock down.

Back
Top Bottom