Drake or hens ahh

Jesusfreak101

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Ok so basis off voices I decided which where hens and which were drakes well now I am confused my rouen who has a olive green bill and sounds like a boy just let my Campbell what I thought was a hen mount him and what looked like breeding seriously I thought we had two boys a rouen and a Perkins and now I am confused the Campbell is the smallest/skinniest necked duck I have. Non of mine have melted to the breed colored feathers all look the same. My rouen are about four to five months now and the Perkins and Campbell or three to four months old.

Your ducks aren't very old. They are still in the eclipse plumage. If the Rouen is still a solid brown, and no green head (but olive bill) he is in the eclipse plumage. Soon, they will go through the second molt, the Rouen acquiring his green head and the Khaki getting his or her head.
Also when they molt, you should see sex feathers starting to form. These are one or two curly tail feathers that signify sexual maturity and only drakes have them.
Voice sexing is very accurate. Females go QUACK QUACK QUACK, and males have a raspy whaap sound, not a full quack.
If you have two drakes and less than four hens, you need to get rid of one drake.

Back
Top Bottom