Drake sleeping in a nest?

Cheems

Songster
Apr 10, 2022
LOL, unrelated to my other recent posts but my call duck drake was sleeping in one of the nests the girls made. Does this happen with any of your ducks? I knew he was girly as he always fears the girls and runs away from them and doesn’t mate often, he’s very shy but sitting in a nest is silly

Also call duck mating behavior is fascinating to me as the girls will chase around the boys, rather than with my big ducks where it’s the opposite

They bob their head up and down and try to flirt with the boys lol, is this a call duck specific behavior or is it just my flock dynamic

He’s the white one obviously as he has a drake curl

Attachments

• IMG_5397.jpeg
    IMG_5397.jpeg
    880.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 24
LOL, unrelated to my other recent posts but my call duck drake was sleeping in one of the nests the girls made. Does this happen with any of your ducks? I knew he was girly as he always fears the girls and runs away from them and doesn’t mate often, he’s very shy but sitting in a nest is silly

Also call duck mating behavior is fascinating to me as the girls will chase around the boys, rather than with my big ducks where it’s the opposite

They bob their head up and down and try to flirt with the boys lol, is this a call duck specific behavior or is it just my flock dynamic

He’s the white one obviously as he has a drake curl
that’s so cute. it’s probably a very comfortable spot to rest.

I think it's the season. My Anconas and Runners have been chasing indifferent boys for a month now. Since it seems to be specific pairs my theory is they are choosing their egg daddy.

I think it's the season. My Anconas and Runners have been chasing indifferent boys for a month now. Since it seems to be specific pairs my theory is they are choosing their egg daddy.
Hmm interesting, my ducks do it year round though it’s interesting
that’s so cute. it’s probably a very comfortable spot to rest.
yeah I bet it is, I’ve had my ancona drake pick a spot to sleep in every night (a tire with hay and shavings in the middle) but I had never noticed any of the other ducks having a preference besides just tucking their bill in and standing

My Muscovy drake loves to get into the dog crates I have set up for my girls to lay their eggs in. I think they just like a place that is soft and feels secure. He once got into a small crate and I didn't think he'd ever get out of it he weighs between 13-15 lbs. He also will go into the coop [I use deep litter] and take his bum and scoot around in it until he has made himself a nice cozy nest to sleep in. My girls don't even do this. That is a sweet picture of you Calls. Oh my gosh my Runner females are always chasing the Runner drakes around bobbing their heads at them. They are pretty nutty. The boys are not interested right now,.

My Muscovy drake loves to get into the dog crates I have set up for my girls to lay their eggs in. I think they just like a place that is soft and feels secure. He once got into a small crate and I didn't think he'd ever get out of it he weighs between 13-15 lbs. He also will go into the coop [I use deep litter] and take his bum and scoot around in it until he has made himself a nice cozy nest to sleep in. My girls don't even do this. That is a sweet picture of you Calls. Oh my gosh my Runner females are always chasing the Runner drakes around bobbing their heads at them. They are pretty nutty. The boys are not interested right now,.
That is adorable lol, and it’s funny watching them chase each other around 🤣

It's a good thing my 2 young drakes aren't interested in these 4 Runner girls who are chasing them since the girls aren't even 3 months old yet.[12-11] Boy I never remembered my other female Runners acting this crazy at this age.Metzers must have put something in the water lol

I've seen normal mallard genetics hens invite mating to a drake like you talk about. I believe they do that when they want to be moms. But I didn't see every hen do it. It was weirdly enough only 1 or 2 hens that would do it out of the entire flock. I don't believe its isolated to just one species like call ducks, etc. The ones I had that did it, 1 was a welsh harley hen. the other that did it was a runner duck hen (not pure genetics I think).

My call duck drake was sleeping in one of the nests the girls made. Does this happen with any of your ducks?
My Crested Pekin boy does this. He’ll stand guard over the nest, move hay around, stretch out his legs, and lay on the eggs while the girls are away 🤣 I tell him he’s a good boy every time. Sometimes he’ll even lay when there’s no eggs / only fake eggs.
IMG_9723.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

He talks about the nest a lot and will try to get the girls to come back over to it. I think he is trying to teach them how to be broody 😂

Back
Top Bottom