Drake to duck ratio

JoJoM

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I have 7 ducklings, 6 weeks old. I have no clue on their gender but should know in the next few weeks.

My question - what ratio of drakes to ducks is best? I love them all and want to keep them, but is that realistic? I have a feeling (based on uneducated guesses and quacks) that it’s a 4-3 duck to drake.

Pic because ducks are awesome.
ECB21C25-C438-4601-B605-40043A859565.jpeg

I don’t have experience so I can’t offer much. Like PP said, I think it depends on the drake. I’ve read some places suggest 1:1 and then I’ve read where 1 drake needs 2-3 or more hens.
We have 6 10 week old ducks and I’m still not 💯 sure on 3 of them (I think it’s really me just holding out that they’re late quackery 🤷🏽‍♀️) from the get go we said we’d rehome any drakes, but as you know it’s easy to get attached. I don’t want to rehome until I know for sure that they need to be. And I’m also thinking maybe we can keep 1-2 if they’re drakes. Just depends on temperament. For the most part they have not tried to really go near the chickens and that was a big concern of mine keeping drakes. But if the 3 I’m questioning are drakes they are much bigger than the other 3 so that is a concern as well. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom