Drake with infected preening gland

Hows the preen gland?
Still pretty impacted..... I might do a hot compress and a dish soap wash or something. I almost thought about bringing him to a tub and doing an Epsom salt soak but holding his oil gland underwater for a bit. I could soak Munchkin for her bumblefoot at the same time. I think BOTH Cletus' and Munchkin's oil glands are impacted, but Cletus' is just worse

Warm compresses help, one of my Muscovy females had her preen gland stopped up I did a couple of days of warm compresses and it went back to normal.
Soaking both of them in a nice tub of warm Epsom salt water might help just don't let them drink much of the water.

Ok
Warm compresses help, one of my Muscovy females had her preen gland stopped up I did a couple of days of warm compresses and it went back to normal.
Soaking both of them in a nice tub of warm Epsom salt water might help just don't let them drink much of the water.
Ok thanks!

How are your babies doing? My drake recently had a clogged preen gland as well. We brought him inside gave him a warm bath and washed him with dawn dish soap. Got him good and dried with a blow dryer and Kept him inside for the night. I also put nutri drench in his water for 2 days and he was like a brand new duck today. I think his got clogged from not having their pool filled all the time because we live in Wyoming and it’s been very cold here. I haven’t had to deal with bumble foot yet and I hope I never have too!! It looks and sounds awful!! I sure hope your babies are feeling better. If you notice them shaking I always bring them inside. We have a baby pack and play that we put straw in and keep them in the bathroom. Sometimes when they are sick they have a hard time staying warm. Hope things worked out good for everyone!!

My drake got better, but it looks like its impacted again. I might bring him in for a warm bath soon. My girl is still struggling with bumblefoot, and we can't treat her consistently due to injuries, illnesses, and packed schedules. Plus its freezing. I'm going to order her some birdy booties soon. We are trying out best. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom