Drake with mouth open??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mamaof2wi, Aug 5, 2016.

1. mamaof2wi

mamaof2wi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    My big drake (9 weeks) seems to pant a lot. Way more then the other ducks, even on days that are not that hot. This has been going on for weeks. Thoughts? He eats/drinks/swims and acts just fine and growing like a weed. He is my biggest duck by far.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Check to see if there's anything stuck in his nares. He may need a little extra attention to encourage him to snoot water through them and get the stuff unstuck.

Also, ducks pant when they are nervous, as well.

And it could be an indication he's not feeling well . . . is his breathing at all unusual? Clicking, whistling noises?

3. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    He is clear that I can see. He does not sound or act sick at all. He is a big boy so I wonder if that is the reason?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Anything around that might be making him nervous? And yes, if he's larger, he may need a cooler temperature.

5. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    No unless the other ducks make him nervous? But he was raised with the other 3. Just added some new ones, but he was doing it b4 that.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some of these things are just mysterious. My inner duck-hypochondriac is concerned about very early sign of respiratory infection. But that is worst case. Still, I will lay it out there. Not to panic, just to be aware and to watch.

7. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    thanks i will def keep an eye on him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by