Drake with possible impacted crop..

littlebanty

Songster
12 Years
Oct 31, 2007
West Melbourne, Florida
I have a drake that I noticed this morning with a swollen chest. I have cornered him and felt his chest and it feels as something is in there although its not extremly hard. I noticed him spitting up today and moving his head from side to side and drinking lots of water. If it is impacted does anyone have any info on treatment for ducks? All I seem to find is treatments for chickens. Would it be the same treatment? I would like to try to treat it myself before having to take him to the vet.

I think it would be the same as a chicken. I'm not experienced with compacted crops. If someone with more knowledge doesn't come along I suggest you call the vet and ask about it first and see what he/she suggests.

Quote:
Tomorrow Im gonna try to do the treatment they use on chickens with massage and the mineral oil or vegitable oil and hope it helps. Then I will isolate him and give him some Terramycin incase of infection. The only thing I can think of is that he ate something not edible or he gorged himself on feed without water. I have no clue. The avian vet around the corner is closed all weekend. I wont be able to get ahold of him til MOnday and the emergency clinic only does dogs and cats that I know of. Im gonna try my best and hope I can treat him..If not he will have to be seen by a vet.

You maybe able to flush it out with water too. I have seen my ducks "throw up" before, so you maybe able to force some water down with a syringe and soft tube and see if that helps. The massage and oil should help too.

Back
Top Bottom