Drake with tail pointed down? please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, May 14, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    When i just went to check on my boys, one of my drakes was standing with his tail pointed down. He was fine today when i put him to bed and his tail was up, but the way it was down just worried me. what could it mean? would be just be balancing because sometimes he likes to stand real tall and his tail points to the ground. i'm just worried though. he is acting normal, but could something be wrong? or is this just normal? i will keep checking on him to see if he continues standing like that. i'm just really worried. i don't want him to be sick or anything. thanks.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I've seen mine do that - even see them walking as if the are trying to drag their butts on the ground. Who knows, may be a mating ritual.

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yeah, he seems fine this morning. still holding his tail slightly down, but its not touching to ground, so thats better. he's running around now so he'll be happy. both my boys are crested pekins and sometimes lucy (one with the tail on the ground) tries to stretch up REAL tall, like a runner. toby sometimes does it, but not to the same extent. last night, he was doing his pekin stance, so he was more boat like. i guess the comparison scared me a bit. lucy was trying to be a big boy!

4. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one of my runners doing a similar thing. It's tail points down toward the ground while all of the others have their tails curved and pointed upward. I'm not sure but it seems fine otherwise.

They are only about 8 weeks old right now so I can't tell if it is male/female.

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    he's fine now. he's never really had an extremely pointy tail, and he's molting so many he lost his little tail feathers! he's being king of BOTH kiddie pools right now so the other drake can't swim! he climbs in and lucy (tail down duck) gets out, and toby jumps out cuz he doesn't like fighting and then lucy runs back to his other pool. the little dictator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by