Drakes and Ducks living together during mating season

Beth42

Songster
Jul 28, 2020
Cornwall, UK
I have a flock of 14 runner ducks. 9 boys and 5 girls, from 2 lots of hatching. They are 2 years old now.
Last year I separated them boys and girls. The boys fought a lot and I lost one due to injuries, as the 2 hatches ganged up on each other.
All boys and girls have been living happily together since last September and I was prepped this year to separate again once things got too heated. However, when separated, the boys have picked on one boy and he was separating himself from them when free ranging. This went on for a week, and the boys just wanted to be with the girls, so I gave in and let them all hang out together again, but hatch A boys all kept making a beeline for hatch B girls and it was a bit much.
Then a couple of days ago they naturally split into their hatch groups, so that's 3 girls and 6 boys in one gang and 2 girls and 3 boys in the other. I know this is completely off ratio, but I have kept them split in these groups (they can still see each other) and have been keeping an eye on them and everyone seems pretty happy. I don't know how long it will last, but for now I'm just going with it.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this type of experience, where the ratio is way off but it works?

I have a flock of 14 runner ducks. 9 boys and 5 girls, from 2 lots of hatching. They are 2 years old now.
Last year I separated them boys and girls. The boys fought a lot and I lost one due to injuries, as the 2 hatches ganged up on each other.
All boys and girls have been living happily together since last September and I was prepped this year to separate again once things got too heated. However, when separated, the boys have picked on one boy and he was separating himself from them when free ranging. This went on for a week, and the boys just wanted to be with the girls, so I gave in and let them all hang out together again, but hatch A boys all kept making a beeline for hatch B girls and it was a bit much.
Then a couple of days ago they naturally split into their hatch groups, so that's 3 girls and 6 boys in one gang and 2 girls and 3 boys in the other. I know this is completely off ratio, but I have kept them split in these groups (they can still see each other) and have been keeping an eye on them and everyone seems pretty happy. I don't know how long it will last, but for now I'm just going with it.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this type of experience, where the ratio is way off but it works?
I only have 3 ducks, 2 girls one boy, but with my chickens and turkeys , the ratio was once completely off and all was fine. Just depends on the birds. Keep an eye on their health and they should be good

Back
Top Bottom