Drakes ganging up on hens.

Does anyone have any experience with sprains in ducks (or even breaks)? I am wondering how long they take to heal. Alexandra has been inside for just over two weeks now and doesn't seem to be making a lot of progress. She will use her injured leg for balance, but not much else. We would prefer not to take her to the vet for several reasons (the office visit alone is $50 and x-rays are another $160 & the closest vet that treats ducks is an hour away). This may sound cruel, but we didn't purchase the ducks at pets, but for egg production and possibly for food at some point in the future. We don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars on vet visits.

She isn't eating much but she is drinking and is perfectly alert, no signs of illness. I think the decreased appetite is due to the stress of being inside, lack of eating and lack of activity. (I also know that they can actually go quite awhile without food or water, having had a duck a couple years ago that completely quit eating or drinking for a month (that vet visit was $100 with no answers). Then, one day, she just started eating again. (That duck has been a little different ever since (we think she may have some vision problems), but she completely regained the weight and she is our fattest duck now).

The sun has been out the last few days, so we have been taking her outside in her dog crate to sit with the other ducks during the day. It doesn't give her as much time in the water, but the company seems to be cheering her up and she has been nibbling at her food. In the evening, she gets a couple hours in the bath before bed. Does it make sense to wrap the joint with vet wrap to stabilize it (that is what people do for sprains), or is it better if I leave it as is? I don't think it is a slipped tendon as the joint doesn't look abnormal, just slightly swollen. It might be a break, but if it is, it is at the joint with no visible issues with alignment. Any feedback from anybody with experience with something similar is appreciated.

I would try Epsom salt compresses (it is a laxative so don't let her ingest it) and some T-Relief or similar natural healing cream. Comfrey salve would be good to try.

I looked up T-relief on the internet and it looks like it is made for people (but sold on pet sites for animal use). Is that the right stuff? It looks like they may sell it at Walmart and CVS. If so, I can pick some up on the way home. It looks a little expensive, but we are always looking to add to the waterfowl first aid kit.

How do I apply an epsom salt compress?

T-Relief is something I use on myself and my ducks.

Dissolve Epsom salt in warm water (as much as you can dissolve). Soak a clean cloth in the solution and wrap the leg and foot, then keep the compress on as long as the two of you can stand it.

@Miss Lydia has a flat-bottomed, shallow bucket she uses and she stands the duck in that. It is small enough that her Muscovies cannot reach around and down to drink it, but she only has to restrain the duck to keep it standing there rather than wrapping cloth around the leg.

Thanks! We will give this a try this evening.
smile.png

Okay, so Alex finally got better. The swelling went away and she was only walking around with a slight limp so we let her back out. She was getting around fine for awhile but I noticed that her leg would "give out" on her occasionally. She would take a few steps, limp for one step, repeat. We had another duck with a foot injury inside so we brought her in to keep Lillith company. She seems to have gotten worse while inside. The swelling hasn't come back, but she won't put any weight on that leg except when she limps across the kennel to get to the food or water. I am not sure what to do for her. There is no obvious injury, no swelling, sores, etc. and she won't rest. She spends most the day standing on one leg, she makes a mess with the water (Lillith spends most of the day laying down except to eat and drink). She will use it to swim when we bring her upstairs to the tub, but she refused to walk on it. I am not sure what to do to get it better, but I would like to put her back out with the flock as soon as possible and reclaim my garage. Any advice is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom