drakes

she's almost a year and 2 months
Are all your ducks same age or close in age? this is the time of year for 1st big molt for the ones hatched last year.

Any of the rest losing feathers?

Multiple drakes going after 1 female duck could possibly do that kind of damage.Is she also missing quite a bit of feathers on the back of her neck

@Just Hatch duck

Last edited:
hello I've only got 1 male duck, and none of the others are loosing their feathers
thank you
@Just Hatch duck when a drake gets on a duck his nails can pull out feathers on these areas of the wings. It's no intentional just how they hold on it's usually back of neck and wings you'll notice it, have you watched you ducks mating if so you can see how he does this. So her feathers don't look any different/ she isn't growing back those that are lost?If your not seeing any regrowth then it maybe from mating. Does he like to mate with this particular duck more than the other one? sometimes they will have a favorite. Offer her something high in protein like dried meal worms and or some good quality cat or dog kibble as a treat. [make sure cat or dog food] is small enough for her to eat easily. These 3 things offer some good quality protein and can help with feather quality.

I have three drakes. One wacky runner and two Heaney duty Maccovy. I am worried they may upset the brooding hens. I have pended the two bruts. Any onsite on this, or an I over cautious.

Back
Top Bottom