Drakes

minionek1450

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2023
Do drakes also sit on nests? i saw mine sitting on the nest yesterday instead of the duck (i assume he is a drake because he is way quieter than the duck. like a whispery noise all the time). any replies greatly appreciated

Do drakes also sit on nests? i saw mine sitting on the nest yesterday instead of the duck (i assume he is a drake because he is way quieter than the duck. like a whispery noise all the time). any replies greatly appreciated
Mine does! He loves the nests and eggs and will lay on them any chance he gets. It’s not a very common behavior in ducks, though. Send a picture or video, I’ll confirm the gender for you.

Mine does! He loves the nests and eggs and will lay on them any chance he gets. It’s not a very common behavior in ducks, though. Send a picture or video, I’ll confirm the gender for you.
ill try. but heres the difference between them. the drake has longer legs and like a pinkish beak. the female has shorter legs and an orange beak. the female goes like QUACK when she sees me. and the drake goes like bul bul bul bul when i get near or hes near the rooster (they are really good friends) here are also some pics

Attachments

• 20240109_123809.jpg
    20240109_123809.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240214_114645.jpg
    20240214_114645.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 13
ill try. but heres the difference between them. the drake has longer legs and like a pinkish beak. the female has shorter legs and an orange beak. the female goes like QUACK when she sees me. and the drake goes like bul bul bul bul when i get near or hes near the rooster (they are really good friends) here are also some pics
Oh, is your pink-billed duck a Muscovy? @Miss Lydia could you gender this duck? I’m not confident with Muscovys.

That is a Muscovy that’s in dire need of a bath. Muscovy females make trilling sounds You can look it up on line.
@minionek1450 do they have access to a pool?
thats a muscovy? so that means they arent mating? when i bought them they were all in the same cage. and also we do give them like a container of water so they can play a bit

Yes see the carnnucles starting around the top of her bill? If your weather is nice like above 40* a nice kiddy pool they would love it helps keep their feathers in good shape for one. And keeps parasites off of them too. Female ducks will act like they are mating if there isn't a drake mine will even though I have a drake.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom