DRAT! Ants on my hatchlings!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    9 eggs. 4 hatched yesterday. One today. The one from today had 2 red ants biting its eye when I found it (very very soon after it hatched. This was hours ago and still its eye is shut) I hustled to the store and got ant bait traps for outside the coop perimeter and pray that will get them. I moved mama, babies and remaining eggs to a nest I made on the coop floor with new bedding. It appears the ants were on egg remnants. I feel so bad for the little creature. What a painful entrance. I wonder if the others will hatch? They were all laid on the same day. Maybe not fertilized. Will mama figure this out and get off them?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    poor babies! Hope you get all those ants, they are such a pain. Momma will eventually get off the eggs and tend to the babies instead, usually not too long after the chicks hatch. You can also take away any eggs that you think are infertile- though candle them make sure that they are so you don't throw out any babies!

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes, when she's done she will show babies where food and water is. I love broody hens. I just started experimenting with them and it is wonderful. I don't have worry about a thing. No lights, no brooder, no teaching them how to eat. Mine also have a better hatch rate and beautiful big chicks. They also segregate them into the flock. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] yeah for mama hens.
    Michele

4. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Poor mama is such a trooper. It is over 100 here for the last month. She hasnt left the nest in 2 days and so I put a waterer and tray of baby crumbles in front of them this afternoon and she was more than thrilled she could eat and drink without standing up. And she was clucking and cooing to babies to follow her lead. So sweet...but the cursed ants have me worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by