Drawer slides for pop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catchthewind, Apr 6, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    I had this bright idea while wandering the hardware store yesterday to use drawer slides for the pop door. But searching the forums I can't find a single example of anyone who's done this, except one brief mention on one thread. Either my google-fu is off today or is there something I'm not thinking through? Would it be too drafty? The drawer pulls are pretty cheap and I thought it would make it easy to pull it up and down. We would have to lock it though as I suppose that would make it easier for a predator to slide too. Any thoughts or examples of anyone who has done this too?

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I have no input since I haven't built one yet, but am also interested in seeing what others have to say. [​IMG] This does sound interesting!

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Now, I never thought about it.
    I always have so much extra scrap wood around that I can just make one now without any trouble. My pop doors are always on the inside so I haven't any trouble with them going up and down. The cost is what matters to me and they really are so easy to make that I never thought to buy anything to make one, other than the plywood and most times that is left over from something, too.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hm. Interesting idea. I can't say as I'd ever thought of that before. Hm...!

My main concern, I think, would be that you get ones strong enough that a predator couldn't just push it in. Do not underestimate strenght or weight of hungry carnivores. That is probably doable though (to find a stout-enough model)

Then you would have to mount them in such a way that tere wasn't a gap for drafts and prying predator claws and mouses to slip in. Again, should be doable, might require some fiddling though.

I dunno, it may not actually be an EASIER way to do it, but it could be an interesting project (and might end up with a less sticking-prone popdoor than some homemade ones are), I think you should try it and post the results [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    I think it's a great idea. If i ever get to building a new coop, i'lldefinitely do that.(i should be building a new one anytime soon)

6. urbanfarmette

urbanfarmette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    sounds like a great idea to me. we are doing something similar but i wasn't sure which kind of hardware i was going to use. my idea was to use a piece of plywood in some sort of track. the top of the plywood would have a hole drilled in it through which a strong string was tied. then the string would go up and through a few pullies or guides of some sort then over so i could open the door from the side. the string would then get secured so the door would be held open. this was my idea so that i wouldn't have to enter the run to open the pop door.

i really like the drawer slide idea because it will keep the door in the track and then the track would close easily without needing to add weights to get it closed. i am planning a secure run (floor covered in hardware cloth) so i'm not too worried about preditors but i've heard you could add a lip on the bottom so the raccoon can't get his fingers under the bottom of the door to push it up. not as secure as a lock though...

just so we're on the same page--the kind of door i'm thinking of is one like the picture on the right at this link:
    http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/automatic-pophole-door-opener/option-gizmo.htm

it's an auto door (which is what gave me the idea) but mine would be manual.

7. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Thanks all! I think maybe we will try it. I'll post pictures if we do. The worst that happens is we're out the $6-$10 or so that the heavy duty ones were. The drafts are the only thing I'd worry about but I'm sure there would be a way to draft-proof it. Urbanfarmette, that's the type of door we're thinking of too, only in wood. I want to be able to open it easily from the outside, though if it slides too easily we might have to lock it in which case I'd have to go in the coop anyway. But I'm going to want to be going into the coop to check water and food and it's a big walk-in coop so it's no hardship. [​IMG] I'll get my husband to push on it with all his might once it's in and make sure he can't budge it, too. I've heard raccoons are better at pulling than pushing? We'd likely have the tracks and such on the inside away from the weather. I'm not overly concerned about predators because we'll have it in a run that will be predator proof too, but I don't want to take any chances in case they do manage to find their way into the run.

8. Mouthpear

Mouthpear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2017
    Almost 6 years ago, I was wondering what you went with , Pros and Cons? If you went a different way or is it still in use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by