• Other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Shido Burrito

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 9, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Hello! I decided to join BYC since I have been on this site at least 3x a week researching, reading, and preparing myself to become a first time chicken owner!

As you can see from the subject title, I am hoping to raise 3-4 bantam chickens in my backyard in the suburbs. My current bantam breeds I have my eye on are a Partridge Silkie Bantam, a Buff Brahma Bantam, an Easter Egger, and a Barred Plymouth Rock Bantam. Do you suppose one of each type will get along okay? I haven't read anyone suggesting otherwise, except a few mentions of the Silkie possibly being picked on a bit.

I resisted my impulse to immediately buy chickens this last spring and gave myself a year to research and prepare. Did you know that the city of Cincinnati (where I reside) allows you to keep up to 7 hens? Thanks to a great program at a Hamilton County Park, I was finally able to get a definite answer to this!

I have a coop picked out: http://snaplockchickencoops.com/big-coop.html because being able to easily hose down the coop and the stability of plastic is just what I needed. I read a couple people mentioning their hens sleeping in the dropping trays and adding some wiring to prevent that. I may be artistic, but a woodworker and carpenter I am not. This coop seems worth it!

My current research is going into where to acquire the baby chickies. I have two hatcheries within an hour drive, but unsure if I can buy bantams from them. I might go with My Pet Chicken or Meyer Hatchery, but ordering baby chicks through the mail makes me nervous!

Anyway, that's my long, drawn out intro. Congrats to those of you who read this far! I hope to keep learning about these wonderful, feathered friends!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Bantams are small, thus laying small eggs. Just thought I would give you a heads up:) I think the differences will be fine as long as they are same age and are raised together. My polish is tiny compared to my buffs but she/he is thriving just fine and they all get along great. I have not heard that silkies get picked on. In fact I heard the other way around. AThey can be aggressive because of lack of sight. This is usually not a big problem unless they are bearded which means they have full fluff all the way around. Mine are on their way-I am getting 2 silkies!

Well then have fun! Chickens are entertaining. Make sure to post us pics on one of the forums or create one. We all love to see pics of all ages!

I love bantam frizzled cochins. I think they are my personal favorite. The only downside is then tend to be fairly broody. Silkies make great pets but I would get at least 2 so they can sleep together. Not all silkies will roost and you might end up with a sad lone hen at bed time otherwise.

welcome-byc.gif
you didn't mention seramas - they are BIG chickens in a TINY package- my friend has 2 and 2 silkies, The seramas boss everybody including the dog - one goes broody often-sits on invisible eggs and takes over the dog bed.

please locate your state thread on "where am I, where are you," in this social forum - you may be able to find breeders in your area and get much better stock without the need for shipping. A lot of breeds are not recognizable when they come from hatchery stock. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Back
Top Bottom